Ground rice and soy beans

Dmoore870

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2018
North East Arkansas
I am looking for some advice on feed options wanting to get insight on rice I work in a rice mill and have access to rice all through out milling rough,brown,clean and finely ground was wondering if the ground rice would be ok to mix with corn for a feed and also have access to soy beans as well any advice on both would help

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Rice and corn neither one are appropriate feeds for chickens as they are WAY too low in protein and don't have much other important nutrients like amino acids vitamins and minerals. So it *may* be a fine source of energy if supplemented correctly. It would certainly not be MY choice.

While soy is higher in protein it is a plant source and chickens NEED the amino acids derived from animal sources. I'm not personally fond of soy or the way it smells and I don't know how well birds digest legumes... I am no expert!

If I was gonna feed either... I would likely go with sprouted and maybe grown into fodder, a usual 7 day turn around. And I would only use it as a treat or for enrichment at not more than 10% of their total daily ration.

So to explain a little, feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Plus protein is used to build muscle during growing. And eggs that are produced are 34% protein by energy. Point being protein is key and chickens should really never be less than 16% in a non growing bird.

What kind of chickens are you planning to feed? Broilers, laying hens, juveniles, dual purpose breeds?

I do use dry rice hulls bought at my local feed store as bedding in some of my coops. And I might consider using ground rice as a bedding for my live meal worm colony. I would definitely try to find ways to use a product I had ready and affordable access to! Just not at the cost of my birds health. :highfive:

To @EggSighted4Life 's point. A well balanced ration takes a myriad of things into consideration. I've used really simple rations comprised of Whole Roasted Soy, Corn, Oats, Fishmeal, calcium, and fertrell nutri-balancer. I've also used more complicated rations that include alfalfa meal and other ingredients. I find the birds do best with blends that include the alfalfa, but it's tricky to get them to eat it. I kind of like what H and H is doing. They pellet the meals and add the pellets to the cracked grains. My birds did best when they had cracked alfalfa pellets in their feed. If you'd like some recipes I can certainly provide them, but they are all based upon using Fertrell Nutri-Balancer. No I don't work for them, but I do like and trust them.

Thanks I am wanting dual purpose birds and will definitely be feed chicken feed from the feed store I just wasn't sure if I could mix the rice and soy with it to get more from each bag I guess I should have been more specific but I do appreciate the knowledge for sure thank you it is hard to find anything about feeding rice it all says not uncooked but I was assuming that was for whole grain or pieces

Thanks I am wanting dual purpose birds and will definitely be feed chicken feed from the feed store I just wasn't sure if I could mix the rice and soy with it to get more from each bag I guess I should have been more specific but I do appreciate the knowledge for sure thank you it is hard to find anything about feeding rice it all says not uncooked but I was assuming that was for whole grain or pieces
Rice can be used in feeds up to 15%. But it has to be in balance with other things. Since you have access to this type of feed stuffs, here's what I would suggest. Find the closest Fertrell dealer to you, then find a feed mill willing to custom blend for you. Finally, reach out to Fertrell with the list of stuff you have available and ask them to build you a recipe. They will do it. The first book I suggest to anyone wanting to make or adjust their own feed is a book written by Jeff Mattocks their top nutritionist. He's had a hand in all the recipes I have. And all Fertrell customers have access to the Fertrell nutritionists free of charge. The second book I use is Jeff's goto book. I've learned way more than I ever wanted to know about feed, just because I live in a feed desert.

I just wasn't sure if I could mix the rice and soy with it to get more from each bag
Depends on how much those things end up costing you. I still wouldn't add more than 10% to keep from knocking things out of whack. For dual purpose birds, not less than 18% protein once grown is what's suggested. I use 20% protein from hatch to processing/laying with oyster shell on the side for active layers.

Get more from each bag by raising feeders to back height and using no waste feeders, collecting feeders nightly to avoid free loaders, Consider moistening feed to make a mash it is supposed to be be more readily digestible or something like that. Some people ferment their feed, that didn't save me a dime.

Good luck! :pop

Most feed already contains plenty of corn as the first ingredient so definitely do not need more. Truthfully there are better proteins out there. Soy has been linked to food allergies especially GMO so I personally am moving more towards no corn or soy. Fermented feed I believe stretches the dollar and lengthens how long my bag of feed lasts with increased protein and increased digestibility. Just adding water to make wet mash and feed that day does not make fermented feed. Mixing with water and leaving for 2-3 days before feeding makes fermented feed. I wouldn’t use just because it’s available but I think it was a good question.

tips on fermenting I will look into that
I repeat, it didn't save me NOT one dime... and did nothing but fermenting for 2+ years... It also did not change the flavor or quality or size of my eggs or meat or increase the health of my flock. It was a fun experiment though, and I still offer it as an occasional treat... there are MANY threads available when you do get that place.

Shopping around does make a difference... I pay $3 less for the same exact bag at one store over the other.

Have you seen these comparisons of breeds? That's another way to minimize your feed bill... for example choosing Speckled Sussex over any of the Orpington, IMO (too heavy and grow to slow). And dual purpose or not, they are ALL edible. Choosing a breed you love will make a huge difference. Many breeds are NOTHING in person like they are on paper...
http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

Highly recommend French Black Copper Marans as one of my favorite DP breeds with good growth rate, excellent foraging and mothering skills, and great personalities and hardiness... according to my experience. Though I am unsure of hatchery quality differences. :pop

Back
Top Bottom