Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
We are in zone 7a... I believe if I did a garden last fall, I could have kept it going all winter long because it barely got cold here. That is why we have so many ticks and ants this year. I just pulled a tick from my hair... UGGHHHH
**shivers**

You could probably plant kale, lettuces, maize (cold loving greens) and spinach...maybe Swiss chard, and keep them going all winter. Maybe have some old sheets handy for whenever the temps dip into the 20's. Or make a little frame covered in plastic to act as a mini greenhouse. Maybe even a clear plastic tote tub would work as a cold frame in your zone for overnights if the location gets sunny warmer days.

Here’s some of my growing... After 6 years I grew something 😂

Gypsy Pepper
22013842-C47F-4723-AE72-74733746968A.jpeg

Various Tomatoes we were gifted (unknown varieties)
B685D94D-653F-47BC-9B20-B90360367A27.jpeg
E009C122-00EE-4405-B655-1AA8D920240C.jpeg
29932B79-BD68-448E-BF3C-F84B69E38879.jpeg
84CBB37C-D67F-49D3-A6D2-3386BDFBF267.jpeg

Cubanella Pepper
1537C935-5E4C-48DC-BC4B-9DEF3A8710D7.jpeg

Miniature Rose Plant from Mothers Day
A177CE5A-4CBC-4C0C-9AD7-82CB503E5E8F.jpeg

I've seen where people have burned away the bedding material on a box spring mattress and used the frame and springs for a trellis.
That is what we have, it was left at this house when we move in. It is just the frame part nothing else, but I have another I want to burn down so that I can use it.

Probably should have added that I have an earth garden and a container garden. I am cultivating - numerous types of tomatoes & peppers, sweet corn, broccoli, zucchini, crooked neck squash, various herbs, onions, carrots, pumpkins, and potatoes.

On the fruit side, I've got - strawberries, blueberries, grapes (2 varieties), peach tree, apple tree, watermelon, and raspberries.

I planted but it died - argula, spinach, and lettuce. Essentially, I planted all these items too late (I'm Zone 7b) and it got too hot too quickly.

**shivers**

You could probably plant kale, lettuces, maize (cold loving greens) and spinach...maybe Swiss chard, and keep them going all winter. Maybe have some old sheets handy for whenever the temps dip into the 20's. Or make a little frame covered in plastic to act as a mini greenhouse. Maybe even a clear plastic tote tub would work as a cold frame in your zone for overnights if the location gets sunny warmer days.
I was thinking about making a portable PVC frame that I can put over it that is easy to lift with two people. I will think about it and look around at what materials we have.

For years I loved gardening but it never loved me back... Everything always died no matter how diligent or careful I was. This year I have thrown myself full force into gardening education! I am slowly moving beyond a neophyte on topics such as:

Self-watering containers
Container gardening
Making black gold (otherwise known as compost)
Free, low cost, or bargain gardening
Dealing with pests

I might offer up this YouTube channel as a great source of knowledge and inspiration -
Gardening with Leon
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSDYs9sd2_BlLuWSiEr7TJQ

He is just fantastic but I tend to believe that once you've reached his age then you really have learned a thing or two and maybe us children should pay attention! ☺
I will add that channel to my list of youtube channels for this thread. Thank you for sharing that.

And Welcome!!!

Probably should have added that I have an earth garden and a container garden. I am cultivating - numerous types of tomatoes & peppers, sweet corn, broccoli, zucchini, crooked neck squash, various herbs, onions, carrots, pumpkins, and potatoes.

On the fruit side, I've got - strawberries, blueberries, grapes (2 varieties), peach tree, apple tree, watermelon, and raspberries.

I planted but it died - argula, spinach, and lettuce. Essentially, I planted all these items too late (I'm Zone 7b) and it got too hot too quickly.
Yes! I had the same plants die on me. I believe if we plant in the fall that it will grow way better. Most of my lettuce bolted.

My basil is going to seed now because of the heat. The heat here has been ridiculous, but the tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini love it.

Thanks Fort Cluck! Leon is a sweet old man who runs a small commercial farm in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I was directed to his YouTube channel from another video that I was watching on self-watering tubs. He is fun to watch and does a lot of things to engage children into gardening. He is also very knowledgeable... My garden is quite a ways from my house. I need 4-5 hose lengths just to water the garden so I needed other options. I did drip jugs for a while but that was a pain to fill 15-20 milk jugs and run them back and forth. There isn't many options out that direction of the property to collect rainwater either.... The self-watering tubs are a great idea and actually MUCH better for my plants. Leon started me on the hunt to use self-watering containers, but since I've started I've found numerous ways to make this usable in my earth garden, container garden, and inside my house and flowerbeds. :)

Back
Top Bottom