Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
All of my good canning books are still packed in a box, but I found the ball site really helpful. You used to be able to search by fruit or veggie type and get all those recipes at a time, but it appears to look different now. However I've found good info here.
https://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes-0

And if you can find this one at your library/kindle, I like her recipes a lot and have her books (hiding around here somewhere)
Put 'em Up
I stopped my kindle unlimited subscription because I found that the library has all the books at no cost. Better than spending $9.99 a month honestly because I can find better uses for that money.

I just made pizza with zucchini on it and tomatoes :lau Remember weeks ago I hated both (even though i never tried either from my own garden) I will post pics of the pizza when it is done.

The only problem with fruit trees along side, or in pastures, besides all the fruit eaten off the lower branches... is when you go out to pick the fruit and you get mobbed! I swear even with a lid for my bucket, I felt like ninja farmer trying to keep the hungry mouths from stealing my fruit!🤣
What do you have planted or are working on getting planted?

I have a spreadsheet of everything planted and all of the seeds collected. My favorites are the asparagus patch, ender berry, black raspberries, paw paw trees, and maybe the hops, although that has yet to do very much thanks to the chickens loving it too. :drool

We have some empty pastures so I'm trying to plant with harvest times and animal rotation in mind to move them around as needed to avoid occupying the pasture during harvest time. Might not pan out, but that is the current plan.

I put in my first real in-ground garden this year that is no till. Have always had container gardens in the past. Have pumpkins, melons, some permaculture, and lots of tomatoes (some from grocery store heirloom tomatoes) and peppers, among other things. I like watching Jess on Roots and Refuge and James Prigioni's YouTube channel for food forest and gardening ideas for this part. It's a bit of a mess, but was an overgrown field 6 months ago and I try to remind myself of that. Here are the pumpkins I wish I'd put on a cattle panel. :)
20200708_171214.jpg

A neighbor offered to till an area for us to put corn in so we put in corn and beans also. My husband used a rolling seeder so the rows aren't entirety straight, but we hope it produces well in spite of our mistakes. The people who sold us our house left us seed corn and beans in the freezer so it cost us nothing to try. The taller variety is about 6 ft tall and has some nice ears developing. :fl
20200707_193547.jpg

I'd love to do a seed exchange. I did one on BYC in exchange for eggs and was really glad I participated.

I have a spreadsheet of everything planted and all of the seeds collected. My favorites are the asparagus patch, ender berry, black raspberries, paw paw trees, and maybe the hops, although that has yet to do very much thanks to the chickens loving it too. :drool

We have some empty pastures so I'm trying to plant with harvest times and animal rotation in mind to move them around as needed to avoid occupying the pasture during harvest time. Might not pan out, but that is the current plan.

I put in my first real in-ground garden this year that is no till. Have always had container gardens in the past. Have pumpkins, melons, some permaculture, and lots of tomatoes (some from grocery store heirloom tomatoes) and peppers, among other things. I like watching Jess on Roots and Refuge and James Prigioni's YouTube channel for food forest and gardening ideas for this part. It's a bit of a mess, but was an overgrown field 6 months ago and I try to remind myself of that. Here are the pumpkins I wish I'd put on a cattle panel. :)
View attachment 2233837

A neighbor offered to till an area for us to put corn in so we put in corn and beans also. My husband used a rolling seeder so the rows aren't entirety straight, but we hope it produces well in spite of our mistakes. The people who sold us our house left us seed corn and beans in the freezer so it cost us nothing to try. The taller variety is about 6 ft tall and has some nice ears developing. :fl
View attachment 2233820

I'd love to do a seed exchange. I did one on BYC in exchange for eggs and was really glad I participated.
We will do it whenever everyone is ready. I just need to get my seeds organized.

Planning/starting. I have gardening dreams. I'm finally in a more permanent living arrangement I can make these dreams come true. And even though my mother was an amazing gardener, I don't know much more than the basics so could use alot of help.

I'm in the same boat... My mother is a Master Gardener. She has always made gardening look easy.... I did not inherit her green thumb but I refuse to be beaten! I have started taking some free online classes, read dozens of books and online videos, and became good friends with my local extension office. This was my first year having an earth garden. It is doing so-so... Not great but maybe I'll get a few tomatoes and peppers out of it before the pests do. Next year I will be so much better prepared.... Or maybe this fall since I've got time for a late summer planting of carrots, spinach, etc....

Back
Top Bottom