Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Well, I went out to the farm and did the most ghetto propagation I have ever done yesterday. I had a Big Boy tomato that was producing a lot of suckers so I needed to prune it, but I didn't want to waste that potential, but I also didn't have any pots... So, I took 20 oz soda bottles, cut the tops off, then put a hole in each "foot" on the bottom, filled with soil, plopped in a cutting, watered well and the bottles are sitting in a pan with about an inch of water to keep them wet (tomatoes can be rooted in a glass of water so it won't be too wet for them) until they can hold up on their own. 5 of them are going to the garden of a friends boyfriend. The other bottle has 4 cuttings in it and is an experiment I am trying so it's staying with me. Once rooted I'll find a spot in the garden and plant them.

Well, I went out to the farm and did the most ghetto propagation I have ever done yesterday. I had a Big Boy tomato that was producing a lot of suckers so I needed to prune it, but I didn't want to waste that potential, but I also didn't have any pots... So, I took 20 oz soda bottles, cut the tops off, then put a hole in each "foot" on the bottom, filled with soil, plopped in a cutting, watered well and the bottles are sitting in a pan with about an inch of water to keep them wet (tomatoes can be rooted in a glass of water so it won't be too wet for them) until they can hold up on their own. 5 of them are going to the garden of a friends boyfriend. The other bottle has 4 cuttings in it and is an experiment I am trying so it's staying with me. Once rooted I'll find a spot in the garden and plant them.
I put my cuttings right into the ground and 90% of them will root up a new plant and produce fruit too if I get them in early enough.

I put my cuttings right into the ground and 90% of them will root up a new plant and produce fruit too if I get them in early enough.

My problem is that it hasn't rained in weeks and the plants suck up a ton of water from the soil and I only go out and water every other day. I want them to have roots and be a bit more resilient before I put them in the garden soil so they dont just dry out and die.

My problem is that it hasn't rained in weeks and the plants suck up a ton of water from the soil and I only go out and water every other day. I want them to have roots and be a bit more resilient before I put them in the garden soil so they dont just dry out and die.
Yeah, that can be a problem. We are fortunate to get at a minimum a pop up shower ever few days to a week.

Yeah, that can be a problem. We are fortunate to get at a minimum a pop up shower ever few days to a week.
The one that I have already transplanted I put straight in the garden and I didn't think it was going to make it. I even dug the hole almost a foot around and then added water until it was pudding before putting the cutting in and staking it in place (as it was trying to float) and the poor thing still wilted until it was almost flat on the ground (sagging against it's support) but it finally got going and is growing strong now so I think it'll be ok but it was very touch and go.

The one that I have already transplanted I put straight in the garden and I didn't think it was going to make it. I even dug the hole almost a foot around and then added water until it was pudding before putting the cutting in and staking it in place (as it was trying to float) and the poor thing still wilted until it was almost flat on the ground (sagging against it's support) but it finally got going and is growing strong now so I think it'll be ok but it was very touch and go.
They do tend to look dead for up to a week while the roots form.

Walmart had discount tomatoes that looked kind of bad, but I bought two. One is a Carmello and the other is a sweet 100. Didn’t know the sweet 100 grows about 100 cherry tomatoes per vine 😂

I’m going to be sleeping outside with my plants soon if I keep it up 🤭

I got my parents some sort of annual mixed pot because they were half off and my mom loved them.

I had to order self waterers and more fabric pots. Tomorrow I will be planting lots when my pots come in. We ended up getting some compressed organic soil mix. It was on sale too and I wanted to try it with the bunny fertilizer.

Back
Top Bottom