Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Since I got a later star this year I'm just now starting to get something beyond tasty greens and lettuces. The garlic is curing on the porch and I've been getting green and yellow zucchinis and a nice amount of roma beans. While I like traditional bush and pole beans, the flat Italians are my favorites. They have been great with some other veggies in my chicken veggie alfredo and I'll be using them in my fried rice dishes too. Also gonna make some zucchini fritters this week. Yum!

My newer blackberries are starting to produce this year and the newer black raspberries, both wild and cultivated ones, are putting out berries now too. I'm picking and freezing until I have collected enough to make some jam.

I can't remember if I mentioned this elsewhere before, but when what to do with tomatoes came up I forgot to mention another thing to do is freeze them for later use.
If you cut out the stem core first you can freeze them whole or quarted up to be used in meal making later on. Or save up enough to make canning a big batch of sauce or desired tomato item worth your while. I've been freezing tomatoes for years because I prefer to do my tomato canning in the cooler fall or over the winter months when a hot kitchen is pleasant.

Also, when it's end of season and you're getting only a few beans, a single tomato, and maybe a stray zucchini every few days, I make ready to go veggie meal bags. That is I wash and cut up whatever late veggies I'm getting into a quart freezer bag and freeze them all together.
Then when I need something for a recipe that calls for those items...when everyone else is eating store bought tasteless stuff... I grab a quart bag and am ready to cook. You can even freeze fresh herbs right along with the veggies, but since I never know ahead of time what I might make I usually leave herbs out.

Since I got a later star this year I'm just now starting to get something beyond tasty greens and lettuces. The garlic is curing on the porch and I've been getting green and yellow zucchinis and a nice amount of roma beans. While I like traditional bush and pole beans, the flat Italians are my favorites. They have been great with some other veggies in my chicken veggie alfredo and I'll be using them in my fried rice dishes too. Also gonna make some zucchini fritters this week. Yum!

My newer blackberries are starting to produce this year and the newer black raspberries, both wild and cultivated ones, are putting out berries now too. I'm picking and freezing until I have collected enough to make some jam.

I can't remember if I mentioned this elsewhere before, but when what to do with tomatoes came up I forgot to mention another thing to do is freeze them for later use.
If you cut out the stem core first you can freeze them whole or quarted up to be used in meal making later on. Or save up enough to make canning a big batch of sauce or desired tomato item worth your while. I've been freezing tomatoes for years because I prefer to do my tomato canning in the cooler fall or over the winter months when a hot kitchen is pleasant.

Also, when it's end of season and you're getting only a few beans, a single tomato, and maybe a stray zucchini every few days, I make ready to go veggie meal bags. That is I wash and cut up whatever late veggies I'm getting into a quart freezer bag and freeze them all together.
Then when I need something for a recipe that calls for those items...when everyone else is eating store bought tasteless stuff... I grab a quart bag and am ready to cook. You can even freeze fresh herbs right along with the veggies, but since I never know ahead of time what I might make I usually leave herbs out.
Iā€™m going to be doing this with my tomatoes for sauce.

Should I peel them or do I not have to?

I am getting not as many as I need for sauce so Iā€™ll be putting them in ziploc freezer bags until I have enough.

My Mr. Stripey looks like itā€™s going to start growing tomatoes soon and Iā€™m excited for my black cherry tomatoes as well.

Iā€™m going to be doing this with my tomatoes for sauce.

Should I peel them or do I not have to?

I am getting not as many as I need for sauce so Iā€™ll be putting them in ziploc freezer bags until I have enough.

My Mr. Stripey looks like itā€™s going to start growing tomatoes soon and Iā€™m excited for my black cherry tomatoes as well.
I don't peel mine. When I do make something, like a meal, I just grab out whatever peels I can after it's cooked because by in large they don't bother me enough to go through the whole peeling process that most people do.

If I am making a sauce or puree, the hand blender stick I use has slots in the side of the blade head that catches up the peels almost like a strainer. So again, I don't bother to peel before freezing.

I don't peel mine. When I do make something, like a meal, I just grab out whatever peels I can after it's cooked because by in large they don't bother me enough to go through the whole peeling process that most people do.

If I am making a sauce or puree, the hand blender stick I use has slots in the side of the blade head that catches up the peels almost like a strainer. So again, I don't bother to peel before freezing.
Ok sounds good. Iā€™ll try it

Some I brought in early because tomorrow itā€™s going to rain and I donā€™t want them to split

16F403B0-025E-4F8C-BA14-B1A8793FE007.jpeg

ohh a gardening thread!!!
I'm a new grower, I started in Autumn which would have been spring for the other side of the world, I have very mild winters so a lot still grows good. I'm using mostly raised garden beds with some sown directly into the ground. I originally set out to just grow some herbs plus lettuce, tomatoes and carrots but now I have them plus beans, peas, radish, eggplant, beetroot, onion, spring onion, cauliflower, strawberries and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.

ohh a gardening thread!!!
I'm a new grower, I started in Autumn which would have been spring for the other side of the world, I have very mild winters so a lot still grows good. I'm using mostly raised garden beds with some sown directly into the ground. I originally set out to just grow some herbs plus lettuce, tomatoes and carrots but now I have them plus beans, peas, radish, eggplant, beetroot, onion, spring onion, cauliflower, strawberries and a bunch of others I can't think of right now.
Sounds awesome!

Morning (for those south of the equator) and evening (for those north of it)! Hope all the gardens are thriving. So I discovered a seed subscription box yesterday, they send you the seed to plant that month for your region so you don'tget confused about what to plant when and all the info you need for watering feeding harvesting.... has anyone else subscribed to such a service? I feel like this is such a good place for me to start, but I always worry about these things.

Back
Top Bottom