Grow Getters & Mad Potters (Gardening Thread)

Would you like to be part of a seed exchange?

• Yes

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters
Pics
Tomato confit... I’m letting it sit in the fridge for a few days then I’ll put it on spaghetti
FF5C2768-292F-448D-A20C-CA25A015FD3D.jpeg

Well, I did a bit of gardening yesterday after work. I was getting a lot of weeds coming up through my cinderblocks so I moved all of the ones on the empty end of the garden, pulled and cut the weeds (pulled what I could, cut what was too well rooted), then put down 2-3 layers of copy paper with good overlaps where the blocks were, then removed all dirt from the blocks and put them back. If this works well, I'll do the rest of the blocks this fall / winter when there isn't anything on the other end of the garden but I don't want to disturb that end right now.

I also took 2 1-2 gallon buckets (regular feed bucket) of semi composted sawdust and mixed into the empty end and planted 20 cilantro seeds that were gifted to me by a friend. To mix it in, I used my hand tiller to break the soil back up from where it had settled over the summer, then dumped the sawdust on top and mixed in with a hoe then watered it well.

If this does ok, I'll be mixing a bunch into the entire garden this fall / winter once the other crops are out of the way. This might be a good way to add the bulk of soil that I need / want. If I can get the garden 8 inches deep by spring i will be absolutely thrilled, but I'll take whatever I can get. I will need more cinderblocks before I can raise it higher than 8 inches though as I only have the 20 I am using now.

We’ve been having hornworms on the garden 😤🤢 but that’s the least of our problems!!! Also discovered the dang chickens are devouring all our tomatoes too! 😤😤😤

Get an organic spray that’s keeps bugs away. They don’t harm bees, but keep pests away!

I recommend BushDoctor from Fox Farm
Thank you! I’ll try that. I think I might have one somewhere actually but idk if it works on those ones. I’ll have to look haha cause I don’t wanna use like sevin or whatever but don’t want the garden destroyed either. Although that’s already happening due to some certain someones lol need a fence.

Thank you! I’ll try that. I think I might have one somewhere actually but idk if it works on those ones. I’ll have to look haha cause I don’t wanna use like sevin or whatever but don’t want the garden destroyed either. Although that’s already happening due to some certain someones lol need a fence.
Get fencing because if they ruin the plants enough they won’t bounce back. That’s why I don’t free range I free range behind an 8 foot fence that’s 10,000 sq ft 😂

Back
Top Bottom