Grower Feed?

ashley6388

In the Brooder
Jan 21, 2016
Georgia
I got 5 hens this weekend. I was told they're a year old, and I was given a partial bag of Grower Feed. It's crumbles.
I need to buy a new bag and I was wondering if Grower feed is what I need?

You can continue to use grower feed but you must offer crushed oyster shell in a container on the side. They will eat it as needed and the calcium promotes hard egg shells.

If these hens are laying then perhaps a good layer feed might be best. That will supply them with the extra calcium they need to make eggs. You should also think about putting some oyster shell in a dish and let them eat that as they need it. I have roosters so feed All Flock with the oyster shell on the side. Grower feed is normally given to chicks under about 20 weeks old.

Thanks everyone. I figured Grower feed was for younger chicks. Instead of oyster shells could I crush egg shells instead?

If these hens are laying then perhaps a good layer feed might be best.  That will supply them with the extra calcium they need to make eggs.  You should also think about putting some oyster shell in a dish and let them eat that as they need it.  I have roosters so feed All Flock with the oyster shell on the side.  Grower feed is normally given to chicks under about 20 weeks old. 

That's the thing I don't understand. They haven't laid any eggs for me and their previous owner said they've never laid eggs for him either. I don't understand why.

Back
Top Bottom