Growing Dragon Fruit in Zone 6/Indoors?

Apr 30, 2022
Has anyone grown dragon fruit in a cooler climate like Zone 6, or indoors?
Rareseeds.com sells these live plants that I'm interested in but I'm not sure if I could actually grow them in my climate. If growing them indoors is an option I might consider it.

Thanks,

Screenshot 2022-08-03 4.45.47 PM.png

According to this blog post (https://greenthumbplanet.com/grow-dragon-fruit-indoors/) Edgar's Baby (variety rareseeds carries) is a good variety to grow indoors:

"Varieties of dragon fruit I recommend for growing indoors include Edgars Baby, Alice, Seoul Kitchen, Yellow Dragon Fruit or Zamorano, they are all different colors and different flavors but they are all beautiful and make excellent houseplants."

It is possible, but you would need to insure the dragon fruit is located in a spot that gets at least 6 hours of sun each day. If this is not possible you would need to provide artificial lighting.
Do you suppose a southward window would suffice, or do you think I would need to provide grow lights in the winter?

Thanks for your help,

Do you suppose a southward window would suffice, or do you think I would need to provide grow lights in the winter?

Thanks for your help,
Possibly, but it depends if anything is shading the window such as a tree or fence. Be aware that dragon fruit plants can get quite wide and take up space. You may want to consider getting a thornless version if you do decide to grow indoors.

Possibly, but it depends if anything is shading the window such as a tree or fence. Be aware that dragon fruit plants can get quite wide and take up space. You may want to consider getting a thornless version if you do decide to grow indoors.
Thank you for the information!

I didn't know there were thornless dragon fruit varieties, I'll look into them. 👍

By what I've gathered dragon fruit plants don't seem to drop their thorns?
Thorns on the plant wouldn't bother me too much, but them falling all over the place in my bedroom might be another thing.

Still, I'll search up thronless dragon fruit and see what comes up. 👍

Sorry to restart this thread, but I was wondering, does anyone know approximately how many cuttings you can get from a dragon fruit plant a year?

If I get a dragon fruit setup going I'd like to collect the cuttings and root them.

Is there an average number or is it just random? Do dwarf varieties make a difference? Thanks,

Sorry to restart this thread, but I was wondering, does anyone know approximately how many cuttings you can get from a dragon fruit plant a year?

If I get a dragon fruit setup going I'd like to collect the cuttings and root them.

Is there an average number or is it just random? Do dwarf varieties make a difference? Thanks,
A dragon fruit plant will require pruning of lower growth as it grows and to maintain it. You do not want dragon fruit plants to branch out before the structure that supports the plants top and causes it to flow out like a fountain. When training a young dragon fruit that hasn't yet reached the top, tie the upright growth to the trellis. Anything else prune off. You can use the prunings as cutting material. Aim for cuttings that are 6 to 12 inches in length. Anything less will take longer to grow.

A dragon fruit plant will require pruning of lower growth as it grows and to maintain it. You do not want dragon fruit plants to branch out before the structure that supports the plants top and causes it to flow out like a fountain. When training a young dragon fruit that hasn't yet reached the top, tie the upright growth to the trellis. Anything else prune off. You can use the prunings as cutting material. Aim for cuttings that are 6 to 12 inches in length. Anything less will take longer to grow.
Thank you so much for the information!

I stumbled upon this thread looking to start a dragon fruit farm in Texas.
I am looking for technical assistance and hopefully someone to come out and assess my land and help out with the initial setup.

Back
Top Bottom