Has anyone in Zone 6 grown the Yamato melon?

Apr 30, 2022
I saw that rareseeds.com sells the Yamato Cream melon and the Silver Yamato melon. I checked the reviews of both but didn't see anyone in Zone 6 reviewing them.
I was curious if anyone on here in Zone 6 has grown them?

Thanks,

I am in Zone 7 (Md) and grew the Cream this year. I was not that impressed, I have grown many other types of melon purchased from Baker Creek that I liked better. I am going to try them again next year and see if maybe it was just a one off year.

I am in Zone 7 (Md) and grew the Cream this year. I was not that impressed, I have grown many other types of melon purchased from Baker Creek that I liked better. I am going to try them again next year and see if maybe it was just a one off year.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I noticed the Yamato Cream Melon has now been removed from rareseeds.com . I wonder why?

Did you find the taste of the Yamato Cream Melon bland? Was the plant itself prolific?

If I do get Yamato Melon seeds it looks like it'll be the Silver one, because that's all that rareseeds.com (Baker's Creek) has left.

My understanding is that seeds that are not as popular (sell alot) get removed.
Bland would be good description, it certainly was not sweet, citrusy or taste like an Asian pear! The 1 plant I had bore me only 1 fully ripe melon, but that was my fault due to an infestation of bugs!

My understanding is that seeds that are not as popular (sell alot) get removed.
Bland would be good description, it certainly was not sweet, citrusy or taste like an Asian pear! The 1 plant I had bore me only 1 fully ripe melon, but that was my fault due to an infestation of bugs!
Thank you for the information.

Back
Top Bottom