Growing Papayas in Zone 6/Indoors?

Apr 30, 2022
Has anyone grown papayas in a cooler climate like Zone 6? Can you grow them indoors? This variety that rareseeds.com carries seems to be a smaller (plant) variety...?
Thanks,

Screenshot 2022-08-03 4.40.52 PM.png

We grow papaya but we are in zone 9A so winter kill is not something we worry about much.Our growing season is long enough that we can plant seeds in the spring and have a few fruit before the cold sets in. We will buy a papaya fruit from the grocery and remove, dry and plant the seeds.
I would suppose you would have to protect them in the winter in your area. Bring inside, cover or greenhouse. Hope this helps.
PS:I read the ad you posted and they said 3"to 7" plants. I'm thinkin they meant feet!

@Wolfie2 LOL yeah probably feet.

This is helpful info.

If it was an indoor/outdoor plant, at what temperature should I bring the tree indoors (for example when it falls to 70F or 60F?)?

Thanks for your response!

I briefly considered growing papaya, but don't have a sunroom for them in the winter. I did find this article when I was researching: https://www.tyrantfarms.com/how-to-grow-papayas-in-pots-in-non-tropical-climate-zones/

If you look at the picture with the hand, it shows a 5-7" cutting

Good luck if you decide to grow them - it looks like fun🙂
Great article! I will further read it later!

And thank you! I'm hoping to try growing them in the next couple of months or so. 😊

Back
Top Bottom