Growing Feathers??

Duckling17

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
I have 4 Pekin duckings they are 2 weeks today, a few days ago I noticed redness on 2 of their backs so I adjusted the heat lamp and it has gotten better, but now I notcied almost all of them have bald patch on thier necks. Could it be them just lossing the fluff and growing feathers?? I don't think it's mites bc there are no bites on them or me. They are inside, they get a bath 1-2 time a a day with warm water, I use natural wood shavings and pee pads, I clean it everyday sometimes twice, and they have food and water daily. Here's a clear picture.

Attachments

• 20170519_112032.jpg
    20170519_112032.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 38
I'm not an expert but I have one pekin who is 4.5 weeks and she started getting feathers at about 2 weeks. She looked terrible especially when she was wet. 2 weeks later they are filling in better but its still an ugly stage. I noticed that when she was preening she would pull out some of the fluffy baby down and I think that makes it look worse.
My other ducks which are darker colors don't look as bad so I think its a combo of the pink skin, white feathers and the clear feather shafts.

How big is the brooder?....Could be from bathing too much, the heat or they noodle each other lots...Yes, they do begin to get feathers at this age and get itchy....

They sure are cute.....:frow
The Brooder is a bunny pen, and good news is they are looking better and seem to be loosing the yellow color and growing feathers I just didn't expect this until at least 3 weeks. They grow so fast!

Back
Top Bottom