Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. UrbanMamaHen

UrbanMamaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Oh no! I can see myself doing fermented feed next. Does fermented feed really reduce the stinkiness level of the poop?

2. Sunflowergirl

Sunflowergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Quitman, Texas
    Fuzziecreatures, earlier in the fall, when it was warmer for me, I had some problems with mold in the older trays. When they had a good root mat, I started taking them out of the tray and setting them on a tub lid so they could "dry out" a bit better on the edges.

3. UrbanMamaHen

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    I find that fodder older than six days tend to get moldy. I now try to use mine no later than six days old

4. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Have those of you thinking about meal worms looked into Black Soldier Fly Larvae? They are my "dream come true" for producing something crawly for the birds. I find them better than crickets, worms and meal worms, look them up. They are self-harvesting, feed off of scraps and the manure and are self-propagating, too. Almost too good to be true!

5. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok, wow! After switched to a different method I am seeing little tails on day 2 of my wheat berries! It took me 6 days last time!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ive got more boss on day 5 but my wheat came !!!!! Si im starting some as I have an empty tray! :D

7. UrbanMamaHen

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    If this is the wheat from walmart, make sure you open with care. A friend of mine almost lost a fingernail prying the sealed lid open.

8. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I almost lost all my fingernails trying to open it! :lol:

9. SarahMelisse

SarahMelisse Out Of The Brooder

How much 7-9 day fodder are you all feeding per adult laying hen? I'm just looking for an estimate so I know what to aim for.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  10. UrbanMamaHen

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Sorry, but I laughed out loud after reading your post. I gave up trying (because I wanted to keep my fingernails) and asked DH to open it. He got a screwdriver and pried it off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by