Growing fodder for chickens

Fuzziecreatures, earlier in the fall, when it was warmer for me, I had some problems with mold in the older trays. When they had a good root mat, I started taking them out of the tray and setting them on a tub lid so they could "dry out" a bit better on the edges.
We are having a problem with our 2 oldest trays and would love any suggestions. I soak the seeds for 24hrs, rinse the seeds, spray down with 10:1 water/bleach, and rotate daily. There is a grow light in there because the fodder wasn't green anymore, it turned yellow! We keep getting this foamy mold? Extends into the tray about 4 inches, only one end. When I turned the trays, it formed on both ends. I tried adjusting the timer to every 2 hrs for 5 minutes, or every 4 hrs for 5 minutes, or every 8 hrs for 10 minutes

Have those of you thinking about meal worms looked into Black Soldier Fly Larvae? They are my "dream come true" for producing something crawly for the birds. I find them better than crickets, worms and meal worms, look them up. They are self-harvesting, feed off of scraps and the manure and are self-propagating, too. Almost too good to be true!

Back
Top Bottom