Growing fodder for chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pawtraitart, Oct 3, 2012.

1. UrbanMamaHen

UrbanMamaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    I think it is hard to say, as I think we all are using fodder differently. I am using it as a supplement to layer feed, so not very much. If you use it as the main feed, then I would guess at least a couple ounces of dry seeds (before soaking) for each hen per day. But that is really a guess. I figured that if a hen eats about a quarter pound of dry feed a day, then you would need half of that in dry seeds. You could start with some larger amount and adjust downward.

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    The pump, timer, and drip system is up and running for the fodder. It was pretty easy to install. I will watch it for a couple of days but I think I am going to have to put misters on to get good overall soaking. The dripping seems to be just wetting some of the fodder.

If I can produce enough fodder to give some every couple of days, I will count the system as a success. We have over 300 birds so to have a system big enough to feed only fodder will likely not happen.

Tomorrow I will try to work out something for the fermented feed.

Natalie - I sent you a PM on how to make the ACV.

3. UrbanMamaHen

UrbanMamaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Southern California

Wow, that is fantastic. Pictures please.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

Got it! Thank you! :p
    Also thought about mentioning to the hubbie about feeding fermented feed this year as we were cleaning coops today...without sun shining...6 degrees...scraping up frozen duck poop and bedding...Ummm yah I think Ill hold off breaking the news on that one seeing as hed have to feed it! Lol hes only helped me get to the nitty gritty in my coops 3x..today being the 3rd...I wasnt going to screw with my chances on a 4th! Lol

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    When I gave my geese some wilted spinach the other day, I'd just gave them their evening bowl of Fermented Feed...they looked at the greens and went straight to the FF! I was shocked! LOL
    I've seen some people that feed only fodder to their birds..but they have less than 20 birds...soooo??
    It does...plus the birds LOVE it! They go bonkers for it. I've never seen anything like it.
    Black Solider Fly Larvae...hmmm I need to look into that!
    I will use the fodder (and sprouts) as a supplement to their FF.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~ Aspen

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Aspen seriously lol...Its his job in the mornings to tend to animals....Hes not happy about and you would think after 4 years of me pretty much assigning this chore to him hed get over it? Nope..BUT HEY...its ok for me to get up at 5:30 or earlier everyday...start laundry...dishes...take dogs out...load OUTDOOR wood burner...wake two teen girls up...make HIM coffee in bed...get said two teenagers plus two kids that arent mine out the door by 7am drive the 20 miles to two different schools and get to work by 7:30 myself where I have 8 people working for me! Yeah feeding and watering 9 INDOOR pens is flipping rough! I even fill the water jugs he has to bring to barn! :rolleyes: gotta love him dearly...

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Yep, that sounds just like our guys!

~ Aspen

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Lol...ahhh these are the days of our lives! Lol most of the time he knows better than to grumble because he is spoiled lol...i love him :D

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awww..ya gotta love'em!

~ Aspen

10. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    sonew- My 'employee' for my chores is my brother. [​IMG] We do half/half of all animal chores, and he does most of the heavy lifting. I've gotta love him. :)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by