Growing fodder for chickens

How much 7-9 day fodder are you all feeding per adult laying hen? I'm just looking for an estimate so I know what to aim for.
I think it is hard to say, as I think we all are using fodder differently. I am using it as a supplement to layer feed, so not very much. If you use it as the main feed, then I would guess at least a couple ounces of dry seeds (before soaking) for each hen per day. But that is really a guess. I figured that if a hen eats about a quarter pound of dry feed a day, then you would need half of that in dry seeds. You could start with some larger amount and adjust downward.

The pump, timer, and drip system is up and running for the fodder. It was pretty easy to install. I will watch it for a couple of days but I think I am going to have to put misters on to get good overall soaking. The dripping seems to be just wetting some of the fodder.

If I can produce enough fodder to give some every couple of days, I will count the system as a success. We have over 300 birds so to have a system big enough to feed only fodder will likely not happen.

Tomorrow I will try to work out something for the fermented feed.

Natalie - I sent you a PM on how to make the ACV.

The pump, timer, and drip system is up and running for the fodder.  It was pretty easy to install.  I will watch it for a couple of days but I think I am going to have to put misters on to get good overall soaking.  The dripping seems to be just wetting some of the fodder.  

If I can produce enough fodder to give some every couple of days, I will count the system as a success.  We have over 300 birds so to have a system big enough to feed only fodder will likely not happen.

Wow, that is fantastic. Pictures please.

The pump, timer, and drip system is up and running for the fodder.  It was pretty easy to install.  I will watch it for a couple of days but I think I am going to have to put misters on to get good overall soaking.  The dripping seems to be just wetting some of the fodder.  

If I can produce enough fodder to give some every couple of days, I will count the system as a success.  We have over 300 birds so to have a system big enough to feed only fodder will likely not happen.

Got it! Thank you! :p
Also thought about mentioning to the hubbie about feeding fermented feed this year as we were cleaning coops today...without sun shining...6 degrees...scraping up frozen duck poop and bedding...Ummm yah I think Ill hold off breaking the news on that one seeing as hed have to feed it! Lol hes only helped me get to the nitty gritty in my coops 3x..today being the 3rd...I wasnt going to screw with my chances on a 4th! Lol

I am going to put in my pump, water lines, & timer on my fodder system today. I does not seem to hard and I hope that is the case. My system is working nicely but it will be somewhat automated once I get this stuff installed.

I fed out 6 pans of fodder yesterday. Most of the birds love it and it was gone in no time.

Aspen, the geese and ducks have decided the fodder is good stuff and are no longer afraid of it.

Update on my seeds. The wheat seed from Walmart is sprouting great. The oats and corn have not done very good so I will put the grain in my fermented grain mix. I am currently just using wheat and BOSS in my fodder. The combination is working nicely and I am getting 3-4 inch growth on the wheat in around 6 days.

My first attempt at the fermented grains was a big awful mess. I had a barrel cut in half filled with ACV water and three buckets of grain with a Plexiglass cover over the whole thing. I guess something (bird, dog, or cat) jumped on the edge just right and was heavy enough to tip the barrel. The water dumped all over the floor, the grain buckets tipped over, and all in all quite a mess. I went ahead and fed the grain to the birds and they all loved it. I will be trying the bucket in bucket system next because I can see that the fermented grains will be of great benefit to the birds.

I also started my own ACV with a pint of ACV with mother and 64 oz of apple juice. After two weeks it is ready to pour off and use. I will of course start a new batch by keeping back a pint and adding new apple juice. It is a lot less expensive to make your own than pay for the ACV with mother.

I am still not sure if I want to mess with the meal worms. I don't like messing with worms much. I have seen the birds go crazy of earthworms and beetles so I have not fully decided. My husband gets fat and trimmings from a custom butcher close by and has been grinding it up for the birds. The chickens, guineas, and turkeys love that stuff. The geese and ducks won't touch it.
When I gave my geese some wilted spinach the other day, I'd just gave them their evening bowl of Fermented Feed...they looked at the greens and went straight to the FF! I was shocked! LOL
I sprout wheat or barley in a 9" x 22" tray and feed out half to 17 birds, if that helps any, (It would be approx. 9" x 11" I am feeding out.)

Some feed fodder as the ONLY feed.... I personally would offer feed too, but I think if they were out free ranging they will eat all they want so I don't know if they could really get too much.
I've seen some people that feed only fodder to their birds..but they have less than 20 birds...soooo??
Wow Anne thats great!!!! On the ACV I mean not the mess;(

Please tell me how exactly your making backup ACV I need to do this as I just bought a bottle of braggs a few days ago and will need more Im sure ...making mymown would be great!!! My problem is ...Im visually impaired!!! LOL I f I cant see things as they are getting explained it takes me way longer to learn from re re re reading!! Lol

Oh no! I can see myself doing fermented feed next. Does fermented feed really reduce the stinkiness level of the poop?
It does...plus the birds LOVE it! They go bonkers for it. I've never seen anything like it.
Have those of you thinking about meal worms looked into Black Soldier Fly Larvae? They are my "dream come true" for producing something crawly for the birds. I find them better than crickets, worms and meal worms, look them up. They are self-harvesting, feed off of scraps and the manure and are self-propagating, too. Almost too good to be true!
Black Solider Fly Larvae...hmmm I need to look into that!
I think it is hard to say, as I think we all are using fodder differently. I am using it as a supplement to layer feed, so not very much. If you use it as the main feed, then I would guess at least a couple ounces of dry seeds (before soaking) for each hen per day. But that is really a guess. I figured that if a hen eats about a quarter pound of dry feed a day, then you would need half of that in dry seeds. You could start with some larger amount and adjust downward.
I will use the fodder (and sprouts) as a supplement to their FF.
The pump, timer, and drip system is up and running for the fodder. It was pretty easy to install. I will watch it for a couple of days but I think I am going to have to put misters on to get good overall soaking. The dripping seems to be just wetting some of the fodder.

If I can produce enough fodder to give some every couple of days, I will count the system as a success. We have over 300 birds so to have a system big enough to feed only fodder will likely not happen.

thumbsup.gif

Got it! Thank you!
tongue.png

Also thought about mentioning to the hubbie about feeding fermented feed this year as we were cleaning coops today...without sun shining...6 degrees...scraping up frozen duck poop and bedding...Ummm yah I think Ill hold off breaking the news on that one seeing as hed have to feed it! Lol hes only helped me get to the nitty gritty in my coops 3x..today being the 3rd...I wasnt going to screw with my chances on a 4th! Lol
lau.gif

~ Aspen

Aspen seriously lol...Its his job in the mornings to tend to animals....Hes not happy about and you would think after 4 years of me pretty much assigning this chore to him hed get over it? Nope..BUT HEY...its ok for me to get up at 5:30 or earlier everyday...start laundry...dishes...take dogs out...load OUTDOOR wood burner...wake two teen girls up...make HIM coffee in bed...get said two teenagers plus two kids that arent mine out the door by 7am drive the 20 miles to two different schools and get to work by 7:30 myself where I have 8 people working for me! Yeah feeding and watering 9 INDOOR pens is flipping rough! I even fill the water jugs he has to bring to barn! :rolleyes: gotta love him dearly...

Aspen seriously lol...Its his job in the mornings to tend to animals....Hes not happy about and you would think after 4 years of me pretty much assigning this chore to him hed get over it? Nope..BUT HEY...its ok for me to get up at 5:30 or earlier everyday...start laundry...dishes...take dogs out...load OUTDOOR wood burner...wake two teen girls up...make HIM coffee in bed...get said two teenagers plus two kids that arent mine out the door by 7am drive the 20 miles to two different schools and get to work by 7:30 myself where I have 8 people working for me! Yeah feeding and watering 9 INDOOR pens is flipping rough! I even fill the water jugs he has to bring to barn!
roll.png
gotta love him dearly...
Yep, that sounds just like our guys!

~ Aspen

Lol...ahhh these are the days of our lives! Lol most of the time he knows better than to grumble because he is spoiled lol...i love him :D

sonew- My 'employee' for my chores is my brother.
roll.png
We do half/half of all animal chores, and he does most of the heavy lifting. I've gotta love him. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom