Growing fodder for chickens

Growing flat trays is working out well for me, but I also wanted to sprout their feed since I feed whole grains and seeds. After trying sprouting with hemp bags successfully, I decided to get some 2 or 3 gallon buckets for sprouting the whole day's feed. I used a 1/16th drill bit since I don't wanna lose the small seeds like millet, and didn't want to clean screen door screening if I had to line the bucket with that. (Getting the sprouts unstuck from the hemp bag got to be annoying). Had to drill the sides too since those tiny holes didn't drain fast enough if I did just the bottom, but that's okay: allows oxygen in when I'm not rinsing. But I'm ready to try my new system--soaking a whole day's feed now.

once these have soaked awhile, into the bucket!!

Just got home with my bird seed! Two bags have millet, milk, cracked corn, and sunflower seeds in them and the other bag has sunflower seeds, cracked corn, safflower seeds, and "grain products". I have to do my outside and it gets 90 here during the day. Will that be ok? I thought about setting up a fan near them

After the initial soak I am growing my sprouts/fodder outdoors too. The fruit flies became too much :(
I live in south Texas so it is plenty hot here and I'm not sure if this will work. However, I have my setup in full shade and I have a water faucet & a hose close by.
Is anyone else growing their stuff outdoors against all the "rules"?

Deb55 - I would watch the seed that has the dry milk in it. It will be interesting to see if that cause mold issues for you. I would keep that particular batch well rinsed.

Jeanette

Just got home with my bird seed! Two bags have millet, milk, cracked corn, and sunflower seeds in them and the other bag has sunflower seeds, cracked corn, safflower seeds, and "grain products". I have to do my outside and it gets 90 here during the day. Will that be ok? I thought about setting up a fan near them

After the initial soak I am growing my sprouts/fodder outdoors too. The fruit flies became too much :(
I live in south Texas so it is plenty hot here and I'm not sure if this will work. However, I have my setup in full shade and I have a water faucet & a hose close by.
Is anyone else growing their stuff outdoors against all the "rules"?

Deb55 - I would watch the seed that has the dry milk in it. It will be interesting to see if that cause mold issues for you. I would keep that particular batch well rinsed.

Jeanette

Oops! That was my autocorrect. It's "milo" not milk

Could I let mine soak in the trays I'm going to grow them in? Like fill my trays then put the ones with holes in it into another one that does have holes and cover them with water to soak or do I have to do it in a bucket with a lid on it?

Could I let mine soak in the trays I'm going to grow them in? Like fill my trays then put the ones with holes in it into another one that does have holes and cover them with water to soak or do I have to do it in a bucket with a lid on it?

I have done just that with mine before. It works just the same as long as they stay in the water for the soak. Saves a step moving them later too.

Ok thanks cause I couldn't find a bucket around here

Here's my homemade trays

Are the holes good?
Thanks for helping me yall

we're running 90's too. mine do best in the garage: the warmth of the garage floor gets them sprouted really fast. I have to water the older plants with more roots twice a day, but it's not a problem for me.

we're running 90's too. mine do best in the garage: the warmth of the garage floor gets them sprouted really fast. I have to water the older plants with more roots twice a day, but it's not a problem for me.

Thats what I did when I had mine outdoors in the shade...just water more often. Just not letting them dry out completely is key.

Back
Top Bottom