Growing fodder for chickens

All I know is what has happened to me. I used to keep pelleted feed in a metal trash can because of the mice. I also used to get moldy feed in the metal trash can that wasn't moldy when I put it in there. Also, a metal roof on an open air coop will sweat. I just put two and two together and found out that it really does equal four.

Maybe the silos have an air space between walls for insulation?

I have a field mouse problem that we are trying to get under control without using chemicals so at this point the mice chew through the tough rounded plastic garbage cans. The only thing they haven't gotten through is the metal. Is there another alternative? I have mine out of the sun in a shed, off the ground. Any suggestions truly appreciated as i dont want to lose feed or seed. The step garbage cans I have seen have an open bottom so they could still get to the plastic inner piece.
After you freeze it how long is it good for once thawed? Does it add moisture to the grain so it would have to be utilized quickly? Thinking about freezing it in small quantities and take out as needed.

Perhaps attach some hardware cloth around the bottom couple feet of the plastic bins? That ought to discourage any chewing.

I don't know about the chickens - it is much harder to quantify... but I've been feeding fodder to my horses for about 3 years now. They get fodder and hay and that's all! - no hard feed - no grain - no pellets. They get what they can forage in the paddocks for about 3 months of the year but for that time they don't get anything else. My feed bills have gone down, the electricity and water usage is minimal. It saves me time (no more painstakingly making up buckets). They need the hay for roughage only - in order for their gut to work correctly.

I've had other peoples horses here and with the addition of fodder to their diet they have put on weight, stopped windsucking, have increased energy and their coats have improved. It may not be a cure all but for me the benifits far outweigh the costs.

When compared to dry matter - you will always get differences - but what that article failed to mention was that the vitimins and minerals become bioavailable ie the animals actually get the benifit from them, and the natural digestive enzimes found in fodder helps them break down any other food they are eating.
tillyita,

thanks for this. It is what I had in mind as I was reading and responding to the AgFax article. I understand we need to watch what we are spending, but to only look at dry matter and protein and not to look at the animals does not make sense to me. If the spreadsheet is in optimal health, but the animal is not, what have we gained?

I am glad Wednesday posted the article so that we could share our thoughts and experience with fodder. It's too early to tell with my flock, except that they do seem to appreciate the fodder, and I appreciate having a more affordable way to give them fresh vegetables with a system that works with no added electricity.

can you just grow it any were or does it need to be in a special place
To get the fodder going by soaking it overnight then spreading out about half an inch thick in a tray, you just need a reasonably dry place where it won't get knocked over.

After about five days, the shoots start coming up, and at that point, some kind of light helps it green up and grow a bit more. The first few times I used a pie plate and a reading lamp. Now I have some little clear plastic bins in front of a window. And in New England in January, there is not a huge load of sunlight coming through. But it is enough, apparently.

What do you use to grow fodder and where do you find it? I'd like to start growing some for my chickens and have a slight idea of how to get started but can't decide what grain to go with and most importantly where to find it and how much i'll need to get going.

What do you use to grow fodder and where do you find it? I'd like to start growing some for my chickens and have a slight idea of how to get started but can't decide what grain to go with and most importantly where to find it and how much i'll need to get going.
I have started with winter wheat, I bought it bulk at a mom n pop health food store. There are co-ops, buying clubs, Amish bulk stores, online retailers, health food stores, and probably other options including some feed stores.

I use a quart sized mason jar, and nine clear plastic containers and lids.

I drilled small holes in the bottoms of the containers on each side, cut air holes in the sides, cut two holes out of each lid leaving a band across the middle for stability (picture a figure 8 or capital B).

I soak about a cup of seeds overnight, rinse, and spread into a container. That goes on top of another container. I only stack them four high so I have a four stack and will have a three stack once I get all set.

Two containers do not have holes in them. They are on the bottom of each stack. Three times a day I pour water in the top of the stack and it trickles down into the bottom container.

Above from day one

This is one of those things I read about and know I have to do. It has to be better than feeding nothing but bag feed all winter. Bag feed that we all know is full of GMO grains etc. That got me to thinking that I needed to find a source of good organic grown non GMO heirloom grain. Researching all that brought me to learn that even the organic wheat we do have available is likely causing health issues.

I know it probably won't matter so much to some folks since we will be feeding our birds fresh wheat sprouts. But I was thinking why not get real old school grains, grow them outside, collect the seed, use it for fodder and actually make our own flours and use some of the seed to replant with again the next season.

I realize this would take an incredible amount of work, patience, persistence and time. Figured you could buy some good organic heirloom grain seed somewhere. Well good luck and when you do, man is it expensive. Some of these grains go for $7.99 for 25 seeds. It will take forever to start with 25 seeds and turn that into enough seeds to plant an acre of land, even a half acre...

I couldn't help myself though, had to buy 4 packs or heirloom wheat seed. Still want to get an heirloom rye and barley to add to the collection. From my understanding these old school grains have superior taste compared to modern grains. I've also been reading that ancient and heirloom grains probably don't cause as many health issues that our modern bred hybrid/genetically altered grains do. I'm not trying to feed the world though, just my family and livestock. I'm not going to be overly concerned if i have to plant an extra half acre of heirloom wheat etc. to accomplish that. Even if it does take more land and more work. The reason we farm here is to create a higher quality wholesome diet. I don't want to feed my family nor livestock Monsato's version of food.

To break away from it all together I see this fodder idea as excellent choice for an organic winter food. This thread has forced me to enlighten myself in many directions. I didn't even know the difference between soft and hard wheat lol. Anyway it's not as easy as I thought to acquire good old school seeds and to break away from GMO's. Hopefully we won't lose the ancient and heirloom grain seed all together, there sure don't seem to be many folks producing them.

Anybody know of some good sources? Here's the best one I found:

http://www.sustainableseedco.com

Have you seen the poultry pack on there? I think the poltry pack and fodder would be enough for a small flock! http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-seed-collections/poultry-package.html

Quote:
Metal bins will sweat on the inside and keeping feed in them can be hazardous as it will cause your feed to mold.  I use very large trash cans and/or kitchen trash cans with the step lever to raise the top.  Water does not get in and it will hold 50 pounds of feed.

Actually never had that problem. Growing up we had to keep the feed in metal trash cans because the local rodents would chew through the plastic ones. The bins of feed were kept inside the coop. So far I haven't needed to do the same here yet, thankfully - they're not cheap!

Have you seen the poultry pack on there? I think the poltry pack and fodder would be enough for a small flock! http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-seed-collections/poultry-package.html

If I am reading this right you get less than 1.5 lbs of seed for about $25. (Am I reading that right?) That seems very very expensive and would last less than a week for me as fodder for my small flock. I am buying 25 lbs of organic wheat for only $22 and do a mix of grains at .3 lbs of seed per day for 6 birds.

Reading their description it seems like they are intending it to be grown to adulthood rather that just sprouted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom