Growing fodder for chickens

I've been trying to get into growing fodder for all my animals, but I'm having a REALLY hard time finding things to sprout. I have some oats that sprout ok, but not great. And they are super expensive. I really want to go to 100% fodder diet for all my animals but at the high price of grains to sprout on top of the watering it's just not working!

I have a dozen grown rabbits, and up to 3 dozen kits at a time, a dozen chickens, anywhere from 6 to 36 baby chicks at a time, 2 ducks, and 2 geese.
We also want to add a pair of milk goats or a mini jersey.

I'm hoping that there is someone on here in Southern Arizona (I'm in Tucson) that can help me find a place to get sprouting grains. Is there anyone who has a lead on good priced grains that sprout ok in the extreme heat?
Local would be ideal, but I can travel to the valley or down to Rio Rico if I can just find something!

Plotspike forage oats. Also, racehorse oats. I paid $15 for 50 lbs at feed store. TSC has plotspike.

wheat
barley

Has anyone else noticed the barley grows slower than wheat. Also if I let this wheat grow all summer could I potentially create a Seagrass replica for my yard, and then harvest the seeds?

It depends on what temperature your fodder is at as to which grows faster. In my unit wheat is slower and barley quicker, but that is because my temp is set for barley.

and yes if you let your wheat grow you would be able to harvest the grain, but in order to do that you would have to either plant it in the soil or add a heap of nutrient to the water. The seed only has eneough nutrient to start growing once it runs out of the stored nutrient it needs "food" from another source or it wont do well (and definetly wont seed).

I have the worst autocorrect on my phone ever, sorry!!!
They carry wheat seeds seasonally and it's $40/bag after tax (must be $35 or something before, it comes out to $39 and change).
But that's the only place and they'll stop carrying it here shortly :(
I was so excited when a store finally started carrying quinoa for me to eat. The cashiers always give me looks of disgust when I buy it haha. Where I'm from originally there were health food stores & restaurants everywhere, this has been a big adjustment!

Pay to $40 and you'll have months and months of fodder.

So its okay to use the barley from feed stores? Is that what you use?

Definitely. You can use regular barley but you must rinse it 3 times to get the chaff off. (Save chaff for chickens). Then you soak up to 24 hr. Keep it in container for 2-3 days and stir. Rinsing 3 x daily. Then put on flat container with holes and water and drain 3 x daily. Ready anywhere from 4 to 8 days. Four and under are considered grains (like part of your feeding) Over 4 days are considered fodder or pasture grazing. Nutrients go down after 8 days. I usually feed about 4 days. Mine like it better. I also ferment grains. 1 serving of sprouts in am and big fermented feed at 4 pm. Saves me lots of money. Win win

One question. Do you can't soaking day as day 1 or is a day 0 ?
I have been counting it as 0 and leave my grains sprout to day 7 , but if the soaking day count then I have not been feeding them better food because I pass the best days.

if you want to save time and space try fermenting feeds instead of sprouting I do both for horses and chickens horses get fodder and hay chickens get fodder and ff prefer ff

Back
Top Bottom