Growing fodder for chickens

Ok. So the 1020 Trays with Holes. The holes are bigger than the seeds, yes??? Those of you who use them, what do you do? Do you put your own holes in trays that don't already have them? Ugh.....

Does anyone have problems with the root mat fermenting in spots? I do every tray the same and some days I have big spots that have a sour smell to them on the under side and some days they are just fine.

I've noticed after day three of growth, right as the little sprouts start that the 3 root hairs start to look almost fuzzy, like mold but not. Tiny white strands of hairs. After I rinse that day they're fine...could this be mold or is this how they grow?
Thank you

For mine it kept stirring the seeds for two days. On the third the white sprouts were popping out so I didn't stir. By the end of the third the white sprouts were all green. The forth day the green sprouts were stalks! This is my first shot so I don't have anything past four days to speak of yet :) pic to follow

wheat
barley

Has anyone else noticed the barley grows slower than wheat. Also if I let this wheat grow all summer could I potentially create a Seagrass replica for my yard, and then harvest the seeds?

To grow a buncha fodder, could I just buy a 50 pound bag of barley from the feed store or does it matter how the barley is? We have rolled barley and whole barley which would I use? I'm new to this so any tips would help thanks yall.

Back
Top Bottom