Growing fodder for chickens

Hi, for the person who asked about where to buy alfalfa sprouts, check out www.sproutpeople.org . They have a huge supply of all kinds of seeds for sprouting, but, beware, their prices for wheat and barley aren't the cheapest. They also carry all kinds of sprouting supplies, which I bought for my own personal use, not for growing the fodder for my chickens. I've been buying my wheat and barley seeds from stores on ebay. Most of them offer free shipping, too, and it comes quickly.

For those of you who grow wheat and barley -- it seems that my barley seeds always look so dry in the early stages of sprouting, do yours? I don't know if it's the quality of the seed or just the way barley grows. They do sprout, tho, and I usually just end up rinsing them 3 or 4 times a day to keep them moist. Sometimes I let them soak for a few minutes, too.

Hi, for the person who asked about where to buy alfalfa sprouts, check out www.sproutpeople.org . They have a huge supply of all kinds of seeds for sprouting, but, beware, their prices for wheat and barley aren't the cheapest. They also carry all kinds of sprouting supplies, which I bought for my own personal use, not for growing the fodder for my chickens. I've been buying my wheat and barley seeds from stores on ebay. Most of them offer free shipping, too, and it comes quickly.

For those of you who grow wheat and barley -- it seems that my barley seeds always look so dry in the early stages of sprouting, do yours? I don't know if it's the quality of the seed or just the way barley grows. They do sprout, tho, and I usually just end up rinsing them 3 or 4 times a day to keep them moist. Sometimes I let them soak for a few minutes, too.
According to the season; it's true a person might have to rinse the seeds more often during the day. During the winter I usually don't need to water more than twice a day, but in the summer it's 3 or 4 times a day. Right now we are having Santa ana winds and that definitely dries things out and the fodder needs watering more often. How long do you soak the grain before sprouting?

Hi, thanks for your reply! I almost always soak all seeds for at least 12 hours. In the winter, we keep our home no warmer that 68, so it's not like they dry out from the heat, and in the warmer weather, we have central air, tho it hasn't been that warm yet. This will be the first summer season that I've been growing...we only have 5 chickens.

nI soak barley 6 to 8 hrs in the past ive soaked up to 12 but can not tell a difference I now do a wheat barly mix and still do 6 to 8 but I add a cap full of bleach per gal of water and double rince before putting in trys when I feed I put all fodder in bucket put a couple ounces of acv feed horse then leave a little fooder and all remaining seeds in the chicken bucket so nothing goes to waste chickens also get ff which they prefer over fodder but it has chicken starter scratch oats wheat barley black sunflo wer their fav and equipride a horse supplement that is good for a lot of animals varity is a spice of life and my chickens get a big varity

I talked to someone who works at a healthy bakery, who said they soak grains for 2 days before sprouting to make sprouted bread. My last two batches did poorly; my ACV is now in a squirt bottle & I may have used too much. I like using hydrogen peroxide to soak trays, thanks to the person who posted that :)

Back
Top Bottom