Growing fodder for chickens

Thank you!!
clap.gif
Love your wall mount gutter system. How many buns and birds are you feeding? Do you feed your buns fodder in place of rabbit pellets?

I was thinking for those that had an issue w/ the lack of "prettiness" of the wall mount system you could jazz it up w/ coodinating colors of gutters or fancy it up w/ paint or other decorator treatments, or use false "boxes" around the outside of the gutters.

I was thinking for those that had an issue w/ the lack of "prettiness" of the wall mount system you could jazz it up w/ coodinating colors of gutters or fancy it up w/ paint or other decorator treatments, or use false "boxes" around the outside of the gutters.
I don't have an issue with "pretty"....I have an issue called a husband who thinks "all things animal" belong outside. I have a mealworm farm, fermented feed bucket and now fodder on my laundry/utility room shelves and 'surfaces'. It is a 7 x 8 foot room with a furnace, water heater, water softener, pressure tank (for well), washer and dryer in it. No wall space. Shelves are above the washer/dryer and pressure tank.....good thing I'm tall!
lol.png

I just stopped for another 50lb of wheat seed at my local feed n seed and this time instead of $17 it was $25!
barnie.gif
I'm still comforting myself with the whole concept of 1lb of seed = 5lb of fodder. That means 50lb of seed = 250lbs of fodder.
Okay, I feel better!
thumbsup.gif

I just stopped for another 50lb of wheat seed at my local feed n seed and this time instead of $17 it was $25! :barnie  I'm still comforting myself with the whole concept of 1lb of seed = 5lb of fodder. That means 50lb of seed = 250lbs of fodder.
Okay, I feel better! :thumbsup

I have no clue what mine weighs! Lol

Update on my simple system . .
I bought a bucket for each day of the week from the Dollar store.
Day 1 is a soaker, no holes in bottom, with a pint of whatever seed (currently lentil culls; 100 lb bag for $10!).
Days 2-6 have holes in bottoms, nested into one another.
I cut 4-inch-long sections of 4" dia white plastic pipe, and set one in the bottom of each bucket as spacers, so these buckets stack about 20" high.
Day 6 bucket is at the top of the stack, & is where I run my fresh rinse water into, 2x a day (filtering down thru the stack, all set in the bathtub).
Day 7 bucket has no holes & is in a lighted area, "greening up".

The gals get Day 7 bucket every day; day 6 goes into #7, Day one soaker bucket gets dumped into #6, which then gets rotated to the #1 (bottom) position in the stack.

That 1 pint turns into a gallon & a half of sprouts for my 2 dozen chickens.

Next on the agenda is fermenting a separate batch of seed grains, when my 100 Delaware chicks come in May!

It is ART.... Living ART!

Lentil culls? ??????

Where would a person find some of those?

Lentils are one of the crops grown around here, esp in the Palouse area in neighboring WA.
Culls are the undersized lentils that don't make the uniformity grade.
Not sure what you may have in NV (hog farms, shooting ranges & Area 51
thumbsup.gif
) in the way of gleanings / seed culls, etc. . . .sorry!

Back
Top Bottom