Growing fodder for chickens

I'll probably just leave them there. But I can set them up on pencils or something so that they drain into the trays that don't have holes

Yea, good idea. One other thing...that is a dog crate under them...my dogs and cats were very curious about the delicious smell coming from my sprouter trays. My cat knocked one stack off the high counter! Just be on the look out for curious pets trying to check them out.

Note, once the cat knocked my sprouts to the floor and got to sample some while I cleaned up the mess after midnight one night, the curiosity was satisfied so he wasn't interested in them any more...thank goodness.

pretty happy with how the trays are going. Once I get a shed built so I can get my mower/yard equipment out of the garage, I can start doing 2 trays per day for the chickens. Not sure how I'll keep them sprouting this fast when the weather turns colder (the garage floor is warm), other than making some set up so they can sit on soil warming cables. I shall think about winter later, I guess.
Experimenting with various fodder: sometimes cheap birdseed, sometimes wheat or oats. I read somewhere that alfalfa contains phytoestrogens and also can worsen autoimmune diseases in people that eat alfalfa sprouts (I have autoimmune illnesses), so I'm gonna scale back on that and use buckwheat which is supposed to be high in b-vitamins. I also read that brome grass is a high protein grass for cattle and other livestock that pastures, so I'm wondering about trying it.

Sorry for the double post but I just thought of a question

Once mine are done soaking tomorrow and I'm just watering 2 to 3 times a day. Would it be best for me to literally soak and drain them or just mist them with a spray bottle or water with like a watering can? Just curious

Back
Top Bottom