Growing fodder for chickens

Check out posts by Phottoman (e.g. this one), he's in AZ and grows fodder for his chickens and has a well-thought out and successful system. I tried to find pics of his set-up, but couldn't find them immediately. He's a very helpful guy and I'm sure he'd answer any questions you might have.

Wow, thank you for the good words, Gallo, and if I did this correctly, there ARE pictures of my setup here.

And I am sorry I haven't been too "helpful" lately, many many things happening here, including another devastating loss of nearly half my chickens.

Skip

I have been trying to get through this thread, at page 150. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if fodder will grow in cotton bags like some do in burlap. I have cotton bags like the one mealworms come in. I also have milk nut bags and paint strainer bags. Are the weaves of these materials too tight and don't let in enough air? I am giving it a try but does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for your consideration.

I have used old worn out sheets w/ success. Sewing them into bags.

Thanks for sharing your expertise Kassaundra. I considered sending you a pm cuz I had a feeling you would know.;) I soaked wheat last night and used one of each kind of bag I had to see what works. I hope to get all the kinks worked out before the NH winter. I have sprouted many things in smaller amounts so I don't think the learning curve will be too big. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Quote:
You can take those bags that the weave is too tight on and split one side and plant that way. I buy some aluminum pans at Sams. They are less than 25 cent each. They are used for serving pans in restaurants. I buy the 1/2 size and use them as drip pans in my smoker and reuse them several times to grow forage for the chickens.
I am not totally clear on what you mean by split one side. Like cut it? I think as long as they are not stacked on top each other they should be fine for growing. I hope I will be able to get the root mat out and off the materials. Thanks for the tip on the aluminum pans, I was thinking if this way doesn't work out for me I will use them. I don't know if I like the plastic trays many use. I also have never thought about looking at SAMs for pans, I uses so many too. I wonder how much I could be saving. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your expertise Kassaundra. I considered sending you a pm cuz I had a feeling you would know.
wink.png
I soaked wheat last night and used one of each kind of bag I had to see what works. I hope to get all the kinks worked out before the NH winter. I have sprouted many things in smaller amounts so I don't think the learning curve will be too big. Thanks again.

Your welcome

Anybody know if I can sprout pumpkin seeds? I would imagine you could but maybe they will only grow in soil? I got a package for 50 cents thinking the chickens would like them they won't touch them unless they are fermented and even then that is the last thing they clean up. Any thoughts? Thanks:)

Anybody know if I can sprout pumpkin seeds? I would imagine you could but maybe they will only grow in soil? I got a package for 50 cents thinking the chickens would like them they won't touch them unless they are fermented and even then that is the last thing they clean up. Any thoughts? Thanks:)
I would think so. The idea behind the fodder is you are using the energy stored in the seed. so no soil is needed.

Oh Skip, I'm so sorry to hear that.
sad.png

Thanks, Gallo, but that's just the nature of things I guess. I started a whole new batch of day old chicks in March, 30 new kids, including a white leghorn male and three white leghorns, and eight French La' (something or other) that were all just beginning to lay. I lost 17 in one afternoon, plus of the surviving eight (including my very favorite Bantam) from last years original survivors, we only have five of those, including the beautiful male we were given. And yes, the Bantam is "gone" too.
I was watching on line a program from GrowingAGreenerWorld (dot) com yesterday, and I saw something that took me back many years. Some seeds need a bit of scarification before they will sprout, in water or in the ground, and I think (though I could well be wrong) you need to scratch the surface before using pumpkin seeds. In ANY case, try this. Take TEN seeds and wrap them in a paper towel that you spray with a water bottle, put the wrapped up seeds into a zip top baggie and place that in a warm place, like on top of your refrigerator. check on them in several days, and count how many sprouted. If all ten you have excellent seeds, if 5 you have 50% good seeds, and if none you will know you can't follow directions well. (smile)

If you want to try scarification, look carefully at your seeds, you should see an "eye" of some sort. On the side AWAY from the eye (the eye is where your sprouting will start) gently scrape against a file or sand paper until you see a different color, and stop. THAT seed can now be planted (ot tested as in above) to see if it will sprout.

I hope this helps.

Skip

Last edited:
Thanks, Gallo, but that's just the nature of things I guess.  I started a whole new batch of day old chicks in March, 30 new kids, including a white leghorn male and three white leghorns, and eight French La' (something or other) that were all just beginning to lay.  I lost 17 in one afternoon, plus of the surviving eight (including my very favorite Bantam) from last years original survivors, we only have five of those, including the beautiful male we were given.  And yes, the Bantam is "gone" too.
I was watching on line a program from GrowingAGreenerWorld (dot) com yesterday, and I saw something that took me back many years.  Some seeds need a bit of scarification before they will sprout, in water or in the ground, and I think (though I could well be wrong) you need to scratch the surface before using pumpkin seeds.  In ANY case, try this.  Take TEN seeds and wrap them in a paper towel that you spray with a water bottle, put the wrapped up seeds into a zip top baggie and place that in a warm place, like on top of your refrigerator.  check on them in several days, and count how many sprouted.  If all ten you have excellent seeds, if 5 you have 50% good seeds, and if none you will know you can't follow directions well.  (smile)

If you want to try scarification, look carefully at your seeds, you should see an "eye" of some sort. On the side AWAY from the eye (the eye is where your sprouting will start) gently scrape against a file or sand paper until you see a different color, and stop.  THAT seed can now be planted (ot tested as in above) to see if it will sprout. 

I hope this helps.

Skip

Big help, thanks. I am going to try it today. I will let you know my results. Now to read those directions again:)

Back
Top Bottom