Growing fodder for chickens

I read the article and many of the posts following it. It (saving money, more nutrition, or dry matter calculation) doesn't apply to why I use sprouted grains/fodder for my flock. I use them to provide a "green" source for my flock when the weather is like it is now.....17 F with snow cover....and going down to negative 11 and 4 F highs early next week. My flock loves to be out foraging, but this time of the year in Illinois it is not going to happen! I am not replacing my "dry" feed with fodder, I am using it as an addition to it....as a way to let my flock have some variety when they can't get out and find it for themselves. I'm not changing what I do based on anything I read in the article.

If you live in an area where water is scarce, I could see where the cost of soaking, rinsing and watering could be an issue if you didn't make good use of the water after those functions. Saving the water to reuse for other needs would solve that.

luckydux, You said that it states it is "not economically sound"......but they aren't talking about a backyard flock operation or even a chicken operation from what I could tell. And, when it comes to my chickens, not much is "economically sound" if you asked my DH!
wink.png
"Eggs are cheaper at the store!" he says....."but they don't taste as good" I say..... in my case, I think the quality I get is worth what I spend a bit more time, but not necessarily money, for.

DH is right, chickens are not profitable except on a very large scale. But remind him that at least this hobby gives back something...eggs and meat if you can eat your "babies". I can't! I think if I get a mean one or a chicken I don't like I can sell it to someone else to eat, just don't tell me about it. I don't have a DH but what I tell my friends is that as hobbies go this one is a lot cheaper than gambling or what I used to do...collect antique dolls. I agree with what you said, chickens are definitely not economically sound. But aren't they fun!! And they are right, fodder is for giving extra greens when there is a shortage thereof, not for a substantial part of their total feed intake. lol :)

Great info! I did understand all that but guess I fell victim to the belief of turning 1 pound of feed into 6 or 8...not technically false but not how interpreted it.

I plan to try this. I won't have to grow as much as some people have. I only have six hens. They haven't had a lot of greens since winter hit. I am starting to see a difference in the brightness of the yolks in their eggs. They are definitely lighter. Of course, they are lacking their usual amount of insects, too. I can give them mealworms as a treat, but they have to wait for warming trends to get insects. If the temperatures can stay above fifty degrees F. for a few days, there will be some flying insects around.

This may be the stupidest question yet, but...has anyone ever thought to try to germinate BOSS in order to produce plants that will replenish seeds used for sprouting? Perhaps I have lost my mind. I just can't stop wondering if it's a viable idea.

I've done it but you need to wait for spring for that as they won't grow in the winter.

YES! I'm so excited to do this. I usually grow sunflowers along with my vegetable garden. Normally, I'd be getting ready to start my seeds inside this week; however, our absurd weather lately has me hesitating to do so. I'm in southern SC and this weather is reminiscent of the Philly weather I was trying to escape!!

I went to our feed store and they said they no longer carry the seeds. The farmers are getting their seeds direct from the companies. Where is another place I can find this so I can grow some fodder?
Thanks

We grow wheat grass for our chickens in the winter and when the grass is scarce. The absolutely love it!

I started growing fodder made from barley seeds as well. I bought the seeds online. My girls love it. I put chunks of the sprouted seeds into a suet feeder and hang it on the wall of the pen. They snack as they want. I have ducks as well but the ducks don't seem to be that excited about it.

Back
Top Bottom