Growing fodder for chickens

They either don't grow or they do and then I get mold before they're very tall at all.  I know chickens don't need tall fodder but I'd really like to be able to offer them fresh greens daily.  I haven't given up though.  When circumstances here in regard to employment changes, I think I'm going to try the bucket method like the guy in Montana shared but right now I have to wait to buy buckets.
When they don't grow do you know why that happens? ( not saying I know just wondering!)

I really have no idea.  Sometimes I wonder if I soaked them long enough, or too long, maybe they got dry afterwards, heck, I really don't know.
I try to stay on top of rinsing. 
I soak mine 12 to 24 hours. 24 is better. They soak up enough water to get the first signs of sprouting before the initial soak is even done.

If I kept mine soaking for too long or kept them too moist, they still sprouted, they just got slimy and stinky.

You know they're too dry if they get dry looking or crispy.

I don't know how, after reading every post in this thread, I missed the part of the initial 24 hour soak. Either way, my error has worked out really well. I've been doing a five min soak with BOSS everyday and they sprout quickly and do not mold. They do get a little stinky and slimy after 6 or 7 days, but I've just been feeding them sooner when I see those signs.
Good luck.

I don't know how, after reading every post in this thread, I missed the part of the initial 24 hour soak. Either way, my error has worked out really well. I've been doing a five min soak with BOSS everyday and they sprout quickly and do not mold. They do get a little stinky and slimy after 6 or 7 days, but I've just been feeding them sooner when I see those signs.
Good luck.
I tend to think the initial long soak helps eliminate mold during the grow time. Because they gather up all that water inside and so All you're really doing is rinsing away the by products and possible mold from the surface of all the seeds when you rinse so then you thoroughly drain and don't get any stink slime or mold. Mine smells great. Smells like cucumber up to 7 days. No slime no mold.

Good luck.
I tend to think the initial long soak helps eliminate mold during the grow time. Because they gather up all that water inside and so All you're really doing is rinsing away the by products and possible mold from the surface of all the seeds when you rinse so then you thoroughly drain and don't get any stink slime or mold. Mine smells great. Smells like cucumber up to 7 days. No slime no mold.

Definitely trying it next batch!

Mine smells like fresh cucumber as well. I love the smell, it makes my mouth water and want to eat some cucumbers.
big_smile.png
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom