Growing fodder for chickens

I have a question.
I can't grow my fodder for 4 days before it grows mold, and I like to feed my birds the wheat grass, which means I grow it for about 6 days or so. I've been using bleach but it still hasn't been stopping the mold. I am looking into using peroxide, but all I have is the peroxide in the brown bottle that is used for injuries and such. Can I use this, or do I need to get some food grade peroxide somewhere? What's the difference between food grade peroxide and regular? And also if there is any other method to avoiding mold I would love to know.
Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Maybe increase air circulation decrease indoor humidity and improve drainage. Chemical disinfectants seem less favorable than early feeding especially since for chickens it seems you get many of the benefits of fodder for chickens within the first 4 days. But I do understand wanting to feed greens! No idea about peroxide sorry. Merry Christmas!

I have a question.
I can't grow my fodder for 4 days before it grows mold, and I like to feed my birds the wheat grass, which means I grow it for about 6 days or so. I've been using bleach but it still hasn't been stopping the mold. I am looking into using peroxide, but all I have is the peroxide in the brown bottle that is used for injuries and such. Can I use this, or do I need to get some food grade peroxide somewhere? What's the difference between food grade peroxide and regular? And also if there is any other method to avoiding mold I would love to know.
What is your watering technique? How thick is your seed in the tray?

I have a question.
I have been using over the counter peroxide for the chooks, and food grade for our table sprouts. I cannot find an MSDS or anything that says why one is food grade and the other is not, other than packaging. Am going on the idea that it's being rinsed 4 to 6 times afterward, and that's that. So far, no issues.
What is your watering technique? How thick is your seed in the tray?
thumbsup.gif
And this is super important. For me. I can get away with about a half inch max for grains, and maybe an inch for lentils.
Merry Christmas all!

Yes! That's exactly it, sprouting makes the protein & other nutrients more bio available. All grains (& seeds, nuts & legumes) have anti-nutrients such as phytates or lectins that inhibit nutrient absorption. Soaking & sprouting decreases the anti-nutrients & makes everything much more readily assimilated. Though the growin plant does produce some things through the energy from light (remember photosynthesis?).

I actually don't have any experience with chickens & fodder (learned everything I know by reading this thread over the last two weeks!) But I do know a lot about human nutrition. The WAPF says to soak and sprout all grains, seeds, nuts & legumes to decrease the anti-nutrients. Even the raw & paleo folks encourage soaking & sprouting for the same reasons.

One thing I haven't looked at in relation to soak time for chicken fodder is that there is generally a recommended amount of time for soaking for people food which I assumed had to do with the size of the seed and the levels of anti-nutrients present. People here are soaking anywhere from 30 min to 24 hours. But I am guessing maybe it's not as vital if you're going on to sprout/grow the seed rather than eat it right after soaking.

I just started looking into growing fodder and I think it would be great to give the birds something to keep them busy but does anyone actually have any nutritional data to support the claim of wheat fodder having over 20% or even 15% protein? I have seen on multiple web sites selling kits with claims that high but the only actual data I have found is from the USDA for sprouted wheat with 7.5% protein http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6315
I would love to be able to grow high protein feed for my chickens but as Einstein theorized energy can neither be created nor destroyed, and since the you are only adding water and minor amounts of light to the seed, the energy it is using for growth must be coming from the seed. So the only way I can understand that the birds can gain additional nutrition from the fodder is the fact that they can digest it more easily. if anyone has any more information on the subject I would be happy to hear it. It sounds like a great idea an I may still do it just to give them something new to try.
Hi there,

I too had my doubts about this process of sprouting originally so I did a little research that was based on studies obtained by educational institutions (unbiased). Here's one of the examples that turned me around. I'm not saying that the USDA sit is wrong, I'm saying that their database is rather limited to the first word in their search, which could be "wheat". Also in determining a higher protein source I noticed barley is preferred. I hope this helps you take another look at sprouting as a good source of protein. http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=11721

Barley and wheat do not manufacture protein during sprouting.

The reason the percent protein reported for sprouted grains is so much higher than unsprouted is because you lose some other dry matter during sprouting and most of the protein is left behind. So % protien goes up with sprouting NOT total amount of protein

Benefits of sprouting are many but fodder is NOT generally high in protein over all.

It is difficult for chickens to get enough protein from fodder alone.

They would have to digest through a ton of it. Sorry to state the obvious but it makes an intuitive point: a chicken is not a cow and can't live on grass alone. They need more concentrated protein...bugs! Worms! Ya know?

Then there is the issue of balancing protein types as well as just plain amount.

Back
Top Bottom