Growing fodder for chickens

Do the roots want to grab on/grow through the needlepoint holes or is everything coming out well?

Each time I rinse (I do twice per day) I stir them all up so that the roots don't get a hold down through the mesh, because I've used something just like this before where the roots did grab on before I started the stirring up method.

I do that until they get green shoots then I stop stirring them up with each rinse.

When I do this some roots at the top of the seed layer get a little dried but it doesn't stop the green from growing.

I wonder if you took all of that sugar/starch water, added a few yeast and then let it incubate a bit. and then..........warmed it took just shy of boiling, in a tank that has a cooler to capture the clear liquid. I bet it would make some excellent wheat shine. how's that for recycling the used water?

Quote: I thought I read somewhere towards the beginning that mold has a hard time growing below 62 and if you are having a lot of mold it might be too warm...??? BUT, the mold I am getting is the soft grey you described so maybe I don't have anything to worry about after all. I'll move my fodder back indoors where it's a little bit warmer and see if that helps. Thanks so much for your recommendations :)

I thought I read somewhere towards the beginning that mold has a hard time growing below 62 and if you are having a lot of mold it might be too warm...??? BUT, the mold I am getting is the soft grey you described so maybe I don't have anything to worry about after all. I'll move my fodder back indoors where it's a little bit warmer and see if that helps. Thanks so much for your recommendations :)

Mould will grow in the fridge!

Making the environment a little more acidic can reduce the amount of mould. If I get excess amounts I spray mine with a mild (watered down) vinegar solution. It gets rinsed off at the next watering and doesn't cause the lack of growth that the chlorine based washes create.

Mould will grow in the fridge!

Making the environment a little more acidic can reduce the amount of mould. If I get excess amounts I spray mine with a mild (watered down) vinegar solution. It gets rinsed off at the next watering and doesn't cause the lack of growth that the chlorine based washes create.
I would use vinegar if necessary myself, I do refuse to use chlorine :). Thanks for mentioning this alternative. I love apple cider vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom