Growing fodder for chickens

I'm soaking for 24 hours, then draining and keeping them in the same bucket for another 24 hours (rinsing once), then putting in the tray. So far, seems to sprout better.

A few weeks ago I did start at page one and read the first 20 or so pages and STILL got off on the wrong foot! (sigh). I just left out the drainage part altogether. I'm back on track now, after throwing away some fermented seed. haha I already had regular bird seed here so I got a slue of 2-go boxes I had in the shed, cut the tops out, punched holes and laid the seed, using the bottoms for drainage but the seed sat in about 1 inch so they were consistently wet. Now I'm wondering if I have wine too! Drained what was salvageable; have a bag of black oil sunflower here; startin' again! If I mess up now, it'll be 'cause I got drunk off that old seed!
DON"T throw away the fermented seed!! Chickens love it. There is a whole thread here on fermented feed.

Im read on Wikipedia peopled died eating raw sprouts. Any studies or info if birds can get poisened I believe it was ecoli contamination. Any precautions to know about. does upacv do the trick. could you ferment the sprouts. justk trying to learn here

Mmm, it would be interesting to know how that changes the nutritional value. I cook quinoa because it increases the protein level.

Probably because the soluble fibers and starches are left in the water - i haven't done any research on this BTW so could be completely wrong.

I use the chia because it is easy to get hold of, balances the rest of what I feed and means that I don't have to use sunflower seeds for the oil component. I don't like sprouted sunflower - it tastes like it has gone rancid - which would mean that the good oils have been destoyed in the process! Chia tastes clean (rather like alfalfa) when sprouted.

Back
Top Bottom