Growing fodder for chickens

As the weather is warming up, I'm having a really tough time keeping the mold at bay. Just as soon as I start getting a root mat and some green shoots, I start to get my first whiff of that slightly funky smell, and by the time I get to day 7, its gone to mold. Two questions for the experienced hands here:

1 Do any of you feed partially sprouted wheat -- wheat just sending out its first bits of green. How much of a nutritional hit am I taking by not letting it reaching a full 2-3 inches of sprout?

2 Is mold always due to poor drainage/excess water? I'm going to try to punch a lot more holes into my trays and see if that helps. It gets into the 90s and 100s here in the summer and I'm hoping I don't have to give up fodder during those months.

It's been so frustrating t what this wheat go and right when it looks prime to give to the chickens, I notice the mold as I lift it out.

are you using bleach or peroxide in you soaking water if so try airing your sprouting area with a fan to cut humidity you could also put acv in water you are flooding with you could use fermented feeds during hot weather for me it is easier less time and space

As the weather is warming up, I'm having a really tough time keeping the mold at bay. Just as soon as I start getting a root mat and some green shoots, I start to get my first whiff of that slightly funky smell, and by the time I get to day 7, its gone to mold. Two questions for the experienced hands here:

1 Do any of you feed partially sprouted wheat -- wheat just sending out its first bits of green. How much of a nutritional hit am I taking by not letting it reaching a full 2-3 inches of sprout?

2 Is mold always due to poor drainage/excess water? I'm going to try to punch a lot more holes into my trays and see if that helps. It gets into the 90s and 100s here in the summer and I'm hoping I don't have to give up fodder during those months.

It's been so frustrating t what this wheat go and right when it looks prime to give to the chickens, I notice the mold as I lift it out.
Sprouting up to 4 days is considered grain, part of your feed. 4-8 days is foraging like pasture. You get almost as much nutrients at 4 days so why not try that.? If its molding, it's too thick or not enough holes. The chickens like it shorter anyways.
tongue2.gif

if you want to save time and space try fermenting feeds instead of sprouting I do both for horses and chickens horses get fodder and hay chickens get fodder and ff prefer ff

Hey Butch
welcome-byc.gif
Glad to have you. I love, love fermented feeds. My chickens are so healthy and it is so easy. I do both sprouting and fermenting, but if it was a toss up. Fermented everytime.

I feed partially sprouted wheat, rye and barley all the time, especially to the young chicks. Try spraying your trays (with the holes) with straight Hydrogen Peroxide and then rinsing (or you don't have to rinse.) Our Summers are in the 100's and we don't have a problem with mold as long as we use the H2O2 spray before putting the pre-soaked grains or seeds in the container/tray. I don't know how many holes you have in your containers or how large they are, but from my experience, my small trays (6"x8") all have 49 holes and my larger (10"x14") containers have over 150 holes. It's a good idea to have plenty of holes. You want as much drainage as possble to occur in one minute or less. You should not have to give up fodder growing in the Summer, just go with better drainage.

As the weather is warming up, I'm having a really tough time keeping the mold at bay.  Just as soon as I start getting a root mat and some green shoots, I start to get my first whiff of that slightly funky smell, and by the time I get to day 7, its gone to mold.  Two questions for the experienced hands here:

1 Do any of you feed partially sprouted wheat -- wheat just sending out its first bits of green.  How much of a nutritional hit am I taking by not letting it reaching a full 2-3 inches of sprout?  

2 Is mold always due to poor drainage/excess water?  I'm going to try to punch a lot more holes into my trays and see if that helps.  It gets into the 90s and 100s here in the summer and I'm hoping I don't have to give up fodder during those months.  

Contrary to popular belief - not all mold is bad! Blue/green mould is and should be thrown out. The grey or white wispy stuff is fne and wont hurt/halm your animals - just doesn't look that appealing. The funky smell is not necessarily mold - it is usually the growth inhibitor that the seed releases as it starts to grow. It is this that leaves the "slime" on the bottom of the root mat as well.

Poor air flow is also a reason why you might be getting mold. More water less often is another solution (please pardon the pun).

If you're reclying water you are more likely to get more mold, you might have to change the water more regularly if you are. Peroxide/Vinegar/Chlorine and/or bleach are all products that can be used to reduce the likelyhood of mold occurring in your system. Innoculating your seed by having these in your soak water (if you're soaking) should kill any mold spores that are present, having clean seed to start with also helps (as little "dust" as possible).

As to the temp - My fodder is climate controlled but I know people who just water more often when the weather gets hot, and they don't seem to have any issues.

I want to start growing some fodder, but I can't find Barley! My local feed store & TSC don't carry it. Where does everyone get their seeds?

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Really helpful. I think that I haven't been getting the seeds clean enough in the pre-soak and do not have enough holes in my trays. I will remedy both of those things in my next batch. I've been using bleach to clean my trays between sproutings, but haven't tried it in the pre-soak solution yet. If the cleaner seed and more holes don't do the trick, I will try that.

Also, it's good to know that my partially sprouted seed will make good feed if I think I'm at risk for mold developing. I think I will give the chickens the 4 day tray I have in progress now.

I have a question I can't seem to figure out through reading.

I purchased a bag of organic whole oats from the natural market thinking they would sprout.
It's been 5 days I have mush but no sprouts.

procedure: soaked over night 9 hours. then I have rinsed them 2 times a day. They have stayed pretty wet.

I use the same procedure for the brown rice and do not have a problem so I am thinking I must not have
the right kind of oats.

could you direct me to a website with the right kind of oats that will sprout or take a picture of your bag so
I can find them in my area?

thank you for all your help,
hmm.png

I have a question I can't seem to figure out through reading.

I purchased a bag of organic whole oats from the natural market thinking they would sprout.
It's been 5 days I have mush but no sprouts.

procedure: soaked over night 9 hours. then I have rinsed them 2 times a day. They have stayed pretty wet.

I use the same procedure for the brown rice and do not have a problem so I am thinking I must not have
the right kind of oats.

could you direct me to a website with the right kind of oats that will sprout or take a picture of your bag so
I can find them in my area?

thank you for all your help,
hmm.png

I can't tell you how disappointed I was that my oats would not sprout. I've heard to buy hulless oats or grow your own. It's a different type of oats. OR you can do like I'm going to try. Make a spot in dirt and pour oats that have been soaked 24 hr. Cover lightly and let nature take it's course. Forage. I've heard to buy Plotspik forage oats (triple washed) but I could not get it at the feed store. I live close to a racetrac so I bought triple washed oats for horses. DID not work. The shell is just too hard. You can crack in blender and feed but not sprout. Good luck
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom