Growing fodder for chickens

Pics
My main concerns are not overfeeding them these "treats."

If you've studied the pastured poultry info, you've probably already seen the 5-30% info, right? You know, where they claim that pastured poultry can get up to 30% of their feed intake from the pasture. Up to 30% on my pasture, field, meadow, whatever, is more likely around 5% unless it's a good grasshopper year.

What I do count on with the pasture is that it will fill in all the holes that a balanced feed has. I think that balanced feeds can't help but have holes, unless it's homemade and goes beyond what the NRC's 94 version of Nutrient Requirements of Poultry suggests (dictates, mandates, etc.) ... and even then, we still don't know what could be missing. Sure we have chickens that are alive and laying eggs, but could they be healthier, more vigorous, more robust? Likely. I could never get whatever it is that those chickens are eating when they're out there digging and pecking in the dirt under the leaves into our homemade balanced feed. It doesn't work that way. We all know that. And I kinda think that those are the things (the little bugs, grubs, roots, elusive minerals, and what not) that are missing in the supposed balanced feeds.

Don't get me wrong. Balanced feeds are the only way I feel safe when feeding my chickens and I'd always want a balanced feed for my chickens if it remains affordable, but I still think that there's stuff out there in dem dare hills, dales, and dusty trails that the chickens know they should be eating. So, I'm glad that ours can free range for now while we live here. (After Hurricane Sandy/superstorm I see that we live more precariously than we like to think.)

My point? Yeah, if I can ever get to it. Um. I don't think free-range chickens will overeat on the fodder/sprouts if we still keep the balanced feed out there for them free choice. Mine pounce on the sprouts, but then will leave some in the trays or on the ground (where they've drug it) if I give them too much or more than they feel like eating. And I can't say that I ever give them all that much. Much of the time, they leave the white middle area between the grain and the green blade.

I really appreciate the learning environment here. The humility, helpfulness and enthusiasm is very pleasant.
hugs.gif

X2
hugs.gif

I could totally see why a few of you would aorry about nutritional balance...I am this way, want them to have everything perfect to get the best health. I have to say though, I am in complete trust of this gal's feeding methods, for only one reason....I have seen her birds and they are the most beautiful I have seen :)

This is how nice they are....After seeing one of hers in someone else's posession, ordering hatching eggs and seeing the enormous size and color of them :th I found myself in my car driving three hours to get my hands on more chickens. Then I was driving back again for more?! Then I was hauling a whole car full home for people here in Utah...and Idaho....and delivering them...and now ordering more for next spring. Oh and the people who bought my chicks I hatched this Spring, that actually show their birds...wanted more than I had, drooling over the babies, in their car also driving three hours, getting more chickens, and then bringing more eggs back for me. Ya. Her birds turn us all into putty in her hands. Pretty much. Whatever pawtraitart feeds her birds, is working lol. :bow

Sorry pawtraitart I have to brag for ya :) Maybe it will make up for driving you crazy when I started my bird collection from you :p I have bought a lot of different birds hatched from breeders all over this country, and none hold a candle to yours. Hands down yours have the best egg color (olive eggers, ameraucanas and marans all three) , the biggest egg size , the best temperament, and the nicest feathering :) They are a quadruple threat haha ;)

My two cents to help out those of you that had nutrition concerns.

I got to reading that one day, and I said...."What the heck am I feeding my chickens????" LOL For one thing, I know there has got to be GMO corn in there. I can see the corn flecks in the pellet and unless I pay the big bucks for certified organic feed, chances are it's GMO feed corn. The other grains and plant proteins....who knows? The tag also lists percentage levels for protein, crude fat, crude fiber, lysine, etc. I figure that there has got to be a way that I can provide what my birds need in a more natural way without all the chemicals and "mystery" grains. I'm not at the point where I can put aside the commercial feed completely, though. For example, I first have to nail down the alternative to synthetic dl-Methionine which is an amino acid that helps in the digestion of protein. From my initial research, there could be an herbal solution but one step at a time. It's on my to-do list. LOL

Yep. GMO corn, GMO soy. As if we need to get any more of that into our food chain.

I could totally see why a few of you would aorry about nutritional balance...I am this way, want them to have everything perfect to get the best health. I have to say though, I am in complete trust of this gal's feeding methods, for only one reason....I have seen her birds and they are the most beautiful I have seen
smile.png

This is how nice they are....After seeing one of hers in someone else's posession, ordering hatching eggs and seeing the enormous size and color of them
th.gif
I found myself in my car driving three hours to get my hands on more chickens. Then I was driving back again for more?! Then I was hauling a whole car full home for people here in Utah...and Idaho....and delivering them...and now ordering more for next spring. Oh and the people who bought my chicks I hatched this Spring, that actually show their birds...wanted more than I had, drooling over the babies, in their car also driving three hours, getting more chickens, and then bringing more eggs back for me. Ya. Her birds turn us all into putty in her hands. Pretty much. Whatever pawtraitart feeds her birds, is working lol.
bow.gif

Sorry pawtraitart I have to brag for ya
smile.png
Maybe it will make up for driving you crazy when I started my bird collection from you
tongue.png
I have bought a lot of different birds hatched from breeders all over this country, and none hold a candle to yours. Hands down yours have the best egg color (olive eggers, ameraucanas and marans all three) , the biggest egg size , the best temperament, and the nicest feathering
smile.png
They are a quadruple threat haha
wink.png

I've heard the rumors, and I'm busy making my plans on how to get some of those hatching eggs under my broody hens next spring. I can't wait and am already anticipating watching hens here hatch big chocolate, olive and blue eggs.
th.gif
I do love a pretty egg basket!

And if there is a lot of competition for these eggs, I could provide pictures of the view of the mountains the chicks that hatch from them will have from my coop.

I've heard the rumors, and I'm busy making my plans on how to get some of those hatching eggs under my broody hens next spring. I can't wait and am already anticipating watching hens here hatch big chocolate, olive and blue eggs. :th I do love a pretty egg basket!

And if there is a lot of competition for these eggs, I could provide pictures of the view of the mountains the chicks that hatch from them will have from my coop.

They are not rumors they are cold hard truths lol. Be careful, there is no turning back, once you start you can't go back haha :)

I could totally see why a few of you would aorry about nutritional balance...I am this way, want them to have everything perfect to get the best health. I have to say though, I am in complete trust of this gal's feeding methods, for only one reason....I have seen her birds and they are the most beautiful I have seen
smile.png

This is how nice they are....After seeing one of hers in someone else's posession, ordering hatching eggs and seeing the enormous size and color of them
th.gif
I found myself in my car driving three hours to get my hands on more chickens. Then I was driving back again for more?! Then I was hauling a whole car full home for people here in Utah...and Idaho....and delivering them...and now ordering more for next spring. Oh and the people who bought my chicks I hatched this Spring, that actually show their birds...wanted more than I had, drooling over the babies, in their car also driving three hours, getting more chickens, and then bringing more eggs back for me. Ya. Her birds turn us all into putty in her hands. Pretty much. Whatever pawtraitart feeds her birds, is working lol.
bow.gif

Sorry pawtraitart I have to brag for ya
smile.png
Maybe it will make up for driving you crazy when I started my bird collection from you
tongue.png
I have bought a lot of different birds hatched from breeders all over this country, and none hold a candle to yours. Hands down yours have the best egg color (olive eggers, ameraucanas and marans all three) , the biggest egg size , the best temperament, and the nicest feathering
smile.png
They are a quadruple threat haha
wink.png

You are too kind. The fact is that I'm a chicken geek of epic proportions. Just ask my husband. He was laughing at me this evening as I sat in my chair going over my notes for next breeding season. Poor guy. LOL

Back
Top Bottom