Growing up spoiled?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
My three are getting older, and they really do remind me of puppies. As soon as they hear or see me, its now a constant whine for attention. When I come anywhere near their brooders, they now come to the corners and want to be picked up. Even the middle, Victor/Victoria-still-not-sure-of-the-gender gosling that is timid is getting more and more interested in some time with dad.

If only the nibbling of the flesh didn't hurt so much. I think I'm going to have to wear long sleeved shirts around them, they really like my arms.

This was last Thursday. They've grown a lot since then:

101_1571.jpg

101_1562.jpg

The middle sized one, the one with the beak clearly visible in the first photo, is the one that is confusing me about gender. Beak was dark like the oldest, a definite female, but the down still appears to be coming in white, and the beak is lightening up.

Last edited:
Gee, they are really fuzzy and cute......I've never had ducks or geese......So it hurts when they nibble on you? Just love nibbles though......LOL

Oh, they're love nibbles, or really more like exploratory nibbles -- they use their beaks as the primary way of interacting with the world. But they have a lot of force behind it, since they can rip tough plant matter. It does NOT feel good.

Just wait until breeding season. You think nibbling is bad now? Imprinted birds think of you as part of the flock, when they mature, you'll be a competitor.

Clint

Quote:
that sounds scary... I just got rid of my males who were giving me this machismo attitude when I approached their yard... they stretched out and beat their wings, stood very tall and puffed out and would follow me around the perimeter... Males! I only have a female now and she better not question my dominance, I don't want to deal with it again and I really want her to stay sweet and friendly-and quiet prefferably. She does nibble though... it does not feel great, I put on a thick canvas apron when i pick her up and I'm constantly having to move my hair (or else she will swallow it-and that is just gross), and if she nibbles my skin I immediately flinch and move her beak with my hand... she gets the picture and isn't doing it as much anymore.

Back
Top Bottom