Growth under bottom side of rooster toe

LesGan

Songster
11 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Columbiana, Alabama
8 month old rooster began standing on one leg 2 days ago. He is in a large yard and house with an older rooster and 5 hens. He does get chased at times by the older rooster and I thought he had an injury from the other rooster. I captured him, saw blood and dirt on one toe, soaked foot in epsom salts and discovered a white bony looking growth underneath the nail on the bottom side of foot. (It looks like a child's new tooth coming in behind a loose existing tooth.) (Along with this toe issue he also has black dots on his comb and his stools are looser than the other chickens which I attributed to his being chased and stressed by the other rooster.) Once the foot was soaked and wiped off it was not bleeding any longer. The growth is firmly attached to his foot and caused discomfort when I moved it. Is this another nail coming in and what should I do for him? I have not been successful in finding another home for him, and that is why I still have him with his siblings and the others. Thanks for any feedback about the growth.

Back
Top Bottom