Growth vs. age discrepancy??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by 4 Georgia Hens, Jan 3, 2017.

1. 4 Georgia Hens

4 Georgia Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern Georgia
    We have 4 chicks! 2 Wynodottes and 2 Red Sexlinks! Our Wynodottes names are: Lacy and Prairie. Carlie-pop (Carlotta Popcicle) and Nutmeg are the Red Sexlinks! Prairie is younger than her sisters and it's presenting a problem with changing to grower feed and heat lamp temp. Any suggestions???? Thanks!!:yiipchick

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    You don't say how old the birds are, but unless there is a huge discrepancy in age a starter/grower formula should be fine for all of them until 16 weeks or so.
    Heat lamp - it goes down in 5 degree increments/week (give or take), depending on ambient outside temp. You could leave the lamp at the higher setting for the younger chick and supply a larger brooder overall for the others to move away from the heat. If you live in a warmer climate (Ga?), you should be able to come to a good compromise for all birds.
    Keep us posted, [​IMG]

3. 4 Georgia Hens

4 Georgia Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2017
    Northern Georgia
    Thank you so much for the tips!! We got our chicks from a breeder who didn't keep track of their ages, but we guess the older ones are around a month old and Prairie (bless her heart) is around 2 1/2 or 3 weeks old.Thanfully that isn't a big age difference:jumpy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by