[Pictures] Unsure of What's Happening?!

char0789

Chirping
Apr 23, 2023
Maine, USA
Hey all,
This is my first ever post in here (aside from the intro :frow). So, I'll try to give as much information as I can.
I have 7 chicks, all bought at the same time. (I think their hatch day was April 4th abouts). One of my girls is about half the size (or a little smaller) than the rest. My 11yro picked her out because the chick was one of the smaller chicks in the store's brooder, and has named her "Ducky" because she's always in the water. She's one of two Prairie Bluebell Eggers we have, and Ducky's "sister" is so much bigger than her. While her size is a concern of mine, it's not why I'm here.
I don't know where to begin. I'll just list the things I've noticed.

1) Sneezing. Idk if it's a big deal or not. I've seen some things that say chicks do and don't sneeze. A friend of mine that had chickens (a fox got to her flock) said they sneeze. Ducky isn't the only sneezer. Now, when she sneezes, there has been some wet around her nostrils but I can't tell if it's because she was in the water or it's something else.

2) Smaller than the rest. Ducky is so much smaller than everyone else. Like I mentioned before, she's smaller than the other chick of her same breed and age.
DuckySisterText42323.jpg
3) I think she feels thin. Her sternum(?) is so noticeable and she feels kinda bony under her wings. She's getting her feather feathers but her wingtips extend beyond her body.
DuckyBelly42323.jpg DuckyWingTipTailFeathers42323.jpg
4) Yesterday, I was "petting" her under her beak (top to bottom motion) and what I believe to be her crop was squishy but sounded kind of bubbly? She had a clear mucusy looking "spit" come out of her beak. When I picked her up this morning (930am-10am), she had the mucus spit-up again but the crop felt flat.
Now, it's 3-4 hours later and her crop doesn't sound bubbly and I don't see any "spit-up".

None of the other birds are experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms (aside from sneezing).
Now, with Ducky, I have noticed that she tries to throw the chick starter crumbles into the water and then eats them from there. Or that's what it looks like anyway.
Since they've hit the two week mark, I've introduced chick grit with probiotics (MannaPro Chick Grit).
April 11th, my heat lamp bulb died and they went without one for 16 or so hours, it happened after all the stores closed so they had to wait until morning when I could get out to get a new one. I took a seed starter warming mat, taped it to the inside of a box with the sides cut away so they could get under it. (It doesn't get very hot. Husband said "Lukewarm at best.") They've had a bulb since then though.

I looked inside her mouth and there wasn't any white (thrush) spots, that I could see.
I change their water frequently as they get EVERYTHING in it and their feed is Poulin Grain Chick Starter Crumbles.

I just want to reiterate that I'm a new chicken mom, so if my terminologies are wrong I apologize but I'm learning. I did (what I thought was) a fair amount of research before getting the girls but as life has taught me anything it's "Life happens after you make plans".

I've attached SO many pictures but if there's something else, I can try to get it.

I don't drive so I'm trying to see if I need to go out and get Corid or Apple Cider Vinegar or whatever they need before my husband leaves for work for 3 days. Thank you all so much for reading this far. I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you again.

- Worried Mama

Attachments

• DuckyBarredRock42323.jpg
    DuckyBarredRock42323.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DuckyPoop42323.jpg
    DuckyPoop42323.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 7
  • DuckySisterSxS42323.jpg
    DuckySisterSxS42323.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DuckyStanding42323.jpg
    DuckyStanding42323.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DuckySide42323.jpg
    DuckySide42323.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ducky is obviously a failure-to-thrive chick. FTTs are chicks that hatch with underdeveloped organs. Their digestive systems are usually slow. Constipation is often an issue. Their liver and kidneys may not filter and clean as they should, and sometimes such a chick will get sick. They do not process calories efficiently and they do not grow and develop, and quickly fall behind the other chicks. They crave heat because they don't convert calories into body heat.

Your chick may not survive, but to increase its odds, Poultry Nutri-drench can be a help since it delivers nutrients without the liver needing to metabolize it. You can put it in the water, give it directly into the beak and sprinkle it over their food.

Special feedings of finely minced hard boiled egg or crumbled tofu can help deliver high grade protein that is easy for the chick to digest. Frequent feedings in addition to chick feed may help your chick to grow. But chances are, even if the chick survives, it will never be as large as the others.

Ducky is obviously a failure-to-thrive chick. FTTs are chicks that hatch with underdeveloped organs. Their digestive systems are usually slow. Constipation is often an issue. Their liver and kidneys may not filter and clean as they should, and sometimes such a chick will get sick. They do not process calories efficiently and they do not grow and develop, and quickly fall behind the other chicks. They crave heat because they don't convert calories into body heat.

Your chick may not survive, but to increase its odds, Poultry Nutri-drench can be a help since it delivers nutrients without the liver needing to metabolize it. You can put it in the water, give it directly into the beak and sprinkle it over their food.

Special feedings of finely minced hard boiled egg or crumbled tofu can help deliver high grade protein that is easy for the chick to digest. Frequent feedings in addition to chick feed may help your chick to grow. But chances are, even if the chick survives, it will never be as large as the others.

I'd like to do what I can to see this chick make it. As my daughter is quite attached. We have discussed the reality of the situation and how Ducky might not make it but I still want to try to do everything in my power to see the bird succeed. So, I should go and get "Poultry Nutri-Drench"?

The bottle says "For Rapid Response: Feed directly in mouth 1 mL (cc) per 3 lbs of body weight. This little baby doesn't even weigh a pound? How much should I give her?
Get an eye dropper and put a drop or two into her beak, or right beside it and she will probably take it. I had a chick that was small and did that for a few days along with hard boiled eggs mashed up and she perked up and made it. She is still smaller than the others but doing well.

The bottle says "For Rapid Response: Feed directly in mouth 1 mL (cc) per 3 lbs of body weight. This little baby doesn't even weigh a pound? How much should I give her?
I would give her a couple of drops into her beak a couple of times daily. What do her poops look like? She doesn’t need ACV.

I would give her a couple of drops into her beak a couple of times daily. What do her poops look like? She doesn’t need ACV.
This was her most recent poop at like 130pm est.. If I have ACV in the water already though?

Attachments

• DuckyPoop42323.jpg
    DuckyPoop42323.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom