[Pictures] Unsure of What's Happening?!

I don't think Ducky is a PBE. The other one looks right (chipmunk) but she and Ducky (blonde) were different from the first day.
I agree with you about this. I don't think Ducky is a PBB either. Not sure what she is, but I'm pretty sure what she isn't. I have 6 PBB in my current flock, rehomed 1 at 4 months, and was able to inspect about 100 chicks that Rural King had just received from Hoovers (in the shipping box as it was opened, so no bin mixing there). None of those chicks looked like Ducky. Down colors that I saw were black (most common), gold (brown) based chipmunk (second most common), silver (white) based chipmunk (less common), and blue (least common of all). There were no chicks with down the color of ducky.

That being said, I hope she continues to do well!

Everything seems to be on the up and up since introducing the Nutri-Drench. Thank you for asking. I've been meaning to update but work and life and well, you know how it is! ❤️ Thank you again!
I just now saw your thread, and am very glad to know Ducky is hanging in there. Also, welcome to BYC. I was very surprised to see someone say "people tend to be negative here; quick to diagnose with fatal illnesses." My perception is that the medical experts on this forum do everything they possibly can to help people save their poultry. And even when a condition is terminal, the educators here help owners make their birds comfortable for as long as quality of life is possible. I hope Ducky has a long good life ahead of her; please never hesitate to come back and seek advice if need be.

Okay, I hate to word it this way but love the alliteration. I'm back with more Ducky drama. She does this from time to time and I'm worried about her. Video Here. Sometimes after she does this her crop like becomes 2 separate bulges and feel kinda firm. Also, there's like NO feather growth at all on this spot. (I know leaning her back isn't the best but it's hard to get a picture of it from any other angle.) The bulge does get smaller & go away.
DuckyBluge.jpg DuckyBulge4.jpg DuckyBluge2.jpg
On top of that, she doesn't act like the others. She just kinda... idk how to describe it. (For example, right now, May2nd, she's wrapped up in a couple small towels, sitting in a small box on my desk, resting.) When you're holding her, she just settles into your hand. She doesn't do anything. She doesn't wiggle, flap around, or anything. When she does kinda half sit there about to lay down either in your hand or on a table, she leans to the side like she's going to fall over. I set her on a pillow and she just laid down. I've been giving her Nutri-Drench and they have access to chick grit. I've done some reading about sour crop and impacted crop (because her's is VERY visible and sits up REALLY high like, none of my other girls have one like Ducky does). When the bulge is lightly pressed it makes a bubbly sound like there's air in there.
Poor baby looks so tired.
DuckyBulge3.jpg
I typed this up at like 230am and saved it until I woke up so I could check if the crop is flat in the morning or not so I would have more information for folks.
(Ducky is supposed to be a Prairie Bluebell Egger.)

So, "morning" update, I woke up late around noon and the bulge is either still there or is already back from her being up and around earlier. She's still doing the weird neck dance.

I would isolate her but I don't have another heat source or place to put her. So, if I took away the food it'd also take it away from the others. I just don't know what to do. 😖 Like I mentioned before, she's my daughter's favorite, so my kiddo is so worried & stressed and I just want everyone to be better and happy. 🥺

Don't remove her from the others. You are doing all you can for her. This is common for FTT chicks. They seem to hit a wall where they stop progressing. Her lack of energy is troubling. It appears she may not make it. Her organs don't appear to be catching up.

Have you had a talk with your daughter about life sometimes being very short for some creatures?

Don't remove her from the others. You are doing all you can for her. This is common for FTT chicks. They seem to hit a wall where they stop progressing. Her lack of energy is troubling. It appears she may not make it. Her organs don't appear to be catching up.

Have you had a talk with your daughter about life sometimes being very short for some creatures?
I've talked to her a little bit about it. She's a VERY sensitive, soft-hearted kid. ☹️

I'm trying to figure out why is the "crop" area so "red" ... There's like a "raw" spot in the 1st picture, was it pecked? You need to prepare your daughter for the worst & hope for the best. It's all part of raising animals & the circle of life :hugs
No pecking. It's probably the way my camera picks up the color. It looks more pink/normal irl. We've been talking about it since I first posted about Ducky in here. There's been a lot of tears today though. 😓

So, after some extra attention today, some tears, & some snuggles, Ducky pooped a few times, she did spit up a bit (which isn't good, I know) BUT her crop is a LOT smaller, almost flat and she's a bit more active. We gave her a drop or 2 of Nutri-Drench to help her body rebound a little. But, my goodness... MY EMOTIONS ARE SO TIRED. My kiddo is pretty excited. I'm reminding her that it's a good sign that Ducky's acting this way but we need to stay grounded. Thank you all for all your support and advice. I honestly appreciate it. ❤️

So, after some extra attention today, some tears, & some snuggles, Ducky pooped a few times, she did spit up a bit (which isn't good, I know) BUT her crop is a LOT smaller, almost flat and she's a bit more active. We gave her a drop or 2 of Nutri-Drench to help her body rebound a little. But, my goodness... MY EMOTIONS ARE SO TIRED. My kiddo is pretty excited. I'm reminding her that it's a good sign that Ducky's acting this way but we need to stay grounded. Thank you all for all your support and advice. I honestly appreciate it. ❤️
Edit/Update: She peeps like she's been smoking for 20 years. And her crop is all big again but she's been eating so that's probably why. But, because of that she does that weird neck dance again. So, maybe our celebration is premature and will be short-lived. Idk. I'm just so tired. We're hopeful still but what a roller coaster. 😓

Back
Top Bottom