1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Grrr I am so frustrated!!! How do you pack eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by warmfuzzies, Mar 6, 2009.

1. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, we had a little egg swap going, and I read in some thread that they seem to do better if they are not in cartons, just wrapped separately.

So I wrapped them in newspaper, taped them, and then put them all in crumpled newpaper really well, (I thought) and added some plastic that I got at the P.O. that was stuffed with air.

I diddnt have any bubble wrap. What did I do wrong? She said 5 out of 15 broke, and I am worried the others will be no good now... [​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Mine all came with each egg wraped in bubble wrap,the botom of the box had bubble wrap as well as top and sides.....
    And some news paper also....

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I always wrap each egg in bubble wrap and line the box with bubble wrap. Then add shredded paper to fill the rest of the box.

4. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I don't know how true this is for everyone else, but in my experience crumpled paper = broken eggs. Shredded paper works better.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I bubblewrap every single egg individually. I believe that individually bubblewrapping the eggs is the only way to ship them.

Then I pack them in the box with lots and lots of shredded paper for cushioning.

Here is how I wrap each egg.
    [​IMG]

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I sent a box to Dave a week ago and he said they all arrived intact. Someone on here has posted a how-to on egg packing and I followed their directions.
    - each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed in the bottom half of an egg carton. I used a foam carton, but I don't know that it matters.
    - Once each egg was in, I took the bottom half of another foam carton and placed it over the eggs.
    - that whole arrangement was wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap and taped.
    - I took the top halves of the foam cartons and placed them on the sides of the carton/egg/carton set up and taped them in place. That protected the sides and added an inch or two of squishable space.
    - I put the whole deal in a large flat rate box. It fit in diagonally and there was a lot of box space around it. I filled that in with the rest of the bubble wrap that I had and a bunch of plastic bags. (Next time I think I will put packing peanuts in or a bunch more bubble wrap.)
    - The mail lady marked it repeatedly with a bright red "Fragile" stamp. Don't know if that helped or made it more of a target. Next time I will likely try sending it "special handling" so that it is not run by machine, but by hand.
    I've have also read that if it is marked "Live" that the post office has to hand handle and not run through the machine loaders and whatnot.

Good luck. I'm sending another out today. We'll see how it fares. I sorta think that it depends on the particular post office the box travel through. Some are careful and others just toss them around.

7. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    I received a shipment from California to North Carolina with zero broken eggs. She had wrapped each egg in paper towels and taped it and then filled a plastic bag with sawdust instead of packing peanuts or newspaper. These eggs arrived in perfect condition!

When I get to the point I have eggs to ship, I will use this same method. Good luck to you!

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    OK, thank you all! I will have to do somehting different next time. We live in a very small town, where can I get bubble wrap?

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I actually use eggs as packing peanuts to fill the box space. There's a picture on another thread of my packing right now.

Question for sellers-do you replace eggs for bad hatches-when and why? by pasofinofarm

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  10. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Sams Club has it. I think walmart has it. I ordered mine from ebay, as its alot cheaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by