Grrr I am so frustrated!!! How do you pack eggs??

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
OK, we had a little egg swap going, and I read in some thread that they seem to do better if they are not in cartons, just wrapped separately.

So I wrapped them in newspaper, taped them, and then put them all in crumpled newpaper really well, (I thought) and added some plastic that I got at the P.O. that was stuffed with air.

I diddnt have any bubble wrap. What did I do wrong? She said 5 out of 15 broke, and I am worried the others will be no good now...
barnie.gif

Mine all came with each egg wraped in bubble wrap,the botom of the box had bubble wrap as well as top and sides.....
And some news paper also....

I don't know how true this is for everyone else, but in my experience crumpled paper = broken eggs. Shredded paper works better.

Last edited:
I bubblewrap every single egg individually. I believe that individually bubblewrapping the eggs is the only way to ship them.

Then I pack them in the box with lots and lots of shredded paper for cushioning.

Here is how I wrap each egg.
DSC09788.jpg

I sent a box to Dave a week ago and he said they all arrived intact. Someone on here has posted a how-to on egg packing and I followed their directions.
- each egg was wrapped in bubble wrap and then placed in the bottom half of an egg carton. I used a foam carton, but I don't know that it matters.
- Once each egg was in, I took the bottom half of another foam carton and placed it over the eggs.
- that whole arrangement was wrapped in a couple layers of bubble wrap and taped.
- I took the top halves of the foam cartons and placed them on the sides of the carton/egg/carton set up and taped them in place. That protected the sides and added an inch or two of squishable space.
- I put the whole deal in a large flat rate box. It fit in diagonally and there was a lot of box space around it. I filled that in with the rest of the bubble wrap that I had and a bunch of plastic bags. (Next time I think I will put packing peanuts in or a bunch more bubble wrap.)
- The mail lady marked it repeatedly with a bright red "Fragile" stamp. Don't know if that helped or made it more of a target. Next time I will likely try sending it "special handling" so that it is not run by machine, but by hand.
I've have also read that if it is marked "Live" that the post office has to hand handle and not run through the machine loaders and whatnot.

Good luck. I'm sending another out today. We'll see how it fares. I sorta think that it depends on the particular post office the box travel through. Some are careful and others just toss them around.

I received a shipment from California to North Carolina with zero broken eggs. She had wrapped each egg in paper towels and taped it and then filled a plastic bag with sawdust instead of packing peanuts or newspaper. These eggs arrived in perfect condition!

When I get to the point I have eggs to ship, I will use this same method. Good luck to you!

I actually use eggs as packing peanuts to fill the box space. There's a picture on another thread of my packing right now.

Question for sellers-do you replace eggs for bad hatches-when and why? by pasofinofarm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom