Grumpy neighbor, advice welcome.

I understand that and respect that. The thing is, we have for the last two years, been very tolerant of each other. This was so sudden and hostile. One of her horses has made it to my hard before. We just brought him back and called her at work to let her know we took care of it and she might want to secure her gate in case it happens when no one is around to catch it. We didn’t want him wandering to the street. But yes you are right. It’s her property.
This makes sense, but you obviously still understand why she doesn't need a reason.

Heres an example, the horse showed up once. Our horses escape from time to time. Not anymore, but every now and then when we were new to the fencing thing. We have good neighbors would would hold onto them knowing we would show up right behind them. ;)
If her horse was showing up a couple times a week, you would get frustrated. Horses have big hooves that do a good job at treating up a nice lush yard.
You don't mind returning the horse if he comes once, but after a bit it would get old. Maybe you'd think it was nice seeing him every now and then for a little while, but after your yard starts to get torn up, you would change your mind.
Of course, difference situation with a much heavier animal, but you know what I mean.

This makes sense, but you obviously still understand why she doesn't need a reason.

Heres an example, the horse showed up once. Our horses escape from time to time. Not anymore, but every now and then when we were new to the fencing thing. We have good neighbors would would hold onto them knowing we would show up right behind them. ;)
If her horse was showing up a couple times a week, you would get frustrated. Horses have big hooves that do a good job at treating up a nice lush yard.
You don't mind returning the horse if he comes once, but after a bit it would get old. Maybe you'd think it was nice seeing him every now and then for a little while, but after your yard starts to get torn up, you would change your mind.
Of course, difference situation with a much heavier animal, but you know what I mean.
I do totally understand. And because we have ducks we really have no yard to tear up. But I get what you’re saying. I’m thinking now that I have started this thread l, the problem isn’t that she is suddenly upset about them being in her yard. I think I’m just upset at how hostile she got with me. It was completely out of the blue. Our last interaction was pleasant. We never had a tense confrontation. And then in middle of the afternoon I receive a threatening text from her. I think I’m just in shock. Maybe she just had a bad day or maybe she has just been holding resentment for a long time for me and finally popped. Anyway the ducks are officially out of her yard and we will probably be clipping their wings tomorrow.

I think the the problem is there is a large tree that is growing side ways in our yard and they love perching on it. It also goes right up to the top of the fence . And they hop over. But perhaps once they realize they no longer can fly back over with clipped wings. Maybe they won’t do it anymore?
If that's the case, they will still go over, but then can't fly back which is more dangerous if they aren't able to evade predators. When my muscovies have clipped wings and with the help of other things in the run (duck house, tree stump, etc.), they can get over a 4' fence that separates them from the chickens.
Can you put a netting of some type over the fence? Or keep them in a smaller area where they can be contained?
Really, it is your responsibility to keep your animals in your own yard regardless of how the neighbor felt about it at first.

One of my pet peeves is neighbors who think they can just let there animals on your property. It is her land and she has stated (quite clearly) that she doesn't want your ducks on it. End of story.
Now to fixing it the quickest way would be to clip their wings. It doesn't hurt them.
I do understand. Perhaps I’m just upset she went straight to threatening after radio silence for three days.

Attachments

• 8E92E16B-7701-4FDB-B417-52D556C6C7FD.jpeg
    8E92E16B-7701-4FDB-B417-52D556C6C7FD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
This is also the first winter the ducks have not immediately gone to the back acre and enjoyed the flood that happens. I don’t know why they would choose poopy pasture over their own seasonal lake.

Attachments

• 8C68D65D-A994-44E7-818C-49783679BDAA.jpeg
    8C68D65D-A994-44E7-818C-49783679BDAA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Soon after I got her, I had to clip my little muscovy's wings [it broke my heart] because she got out and I found her heading across the road. I think she was looking for the rehabber who last cared for her. Within a week, she flew up 6 feet into a tree -- the fence is only 4 feet -- and so I had to take a further inch off those flight feathers. She is much more settled now [we actually moved her to my son's] and she still has enough flight to get up 3 or so feet onto things in my son's back garden to show my son's pekins how big a girl she is!! I am hoping that now she is settled she will not need clipping in the future.

I think that once your muscovies are in the habit of staying on your land, they may not need their wings clipping again in future.

Back
Top Bottom