Grumpy neighbor, advice welcome.

This is also the first winter the ducks have not immediately gone to the back acre and enjoyed the flood that happens. I don’t know why they would choose poopy pasture over their own seasonal lake.
Do you ducks like treats? Try tossing some mealworms, weeds, etc not the flooding to curb their excitement to another area. I bet they'll become interested very quickly once they realize they can't get to the other yard.
My ducks LOVE fishing treats off of the water. Its pretty cute. :D

Soon after I got her, I had to clip my little muscovy's wings [it broke my heart] because she got out and I found her heading across the road. I think she was looking for the rehabber who last cared for her. Within a week, she flew up 6 feet into a tree -- the fence is only 4 feet -- and so I had to take a further inch off those flight feathers. She is much more settled now [we actually moved her to my son's] and she still has enough flight to get up 3 or so feet onto things in my son's back garden to show my son's pekins how big a girl she is!! I am hoping that now she is settled she will not need clipping in the future.

I think that once your muscovies are in the habit of staying on your land, they may not need their wings clipping again in future.
You are probably right. I didn’t think about that
Do you ducks like treats? Try tossing some mealworms, weeds, etc not the flooding to curb their excitement to another area. I bet they'll become interested very quickly once they realize they can't get to the other yard.
My ducks LOVE fishing treats off of the water. Its pretty cute. :D
i tried that. But only once. I will try again.

Any thoughts would be welcome, yes I will try to talk to her again and find a compromise. I’m so baffled by her threat I’m not ready to speak calmly yet.
sorry but if *your* animals come and poop in her yard and there is no reciprocal disrespect of your property lines from her side, it won't be a compromise just because you think it should not a big deal, or your ducks are even beneficent for her property - you need to contain them

Maybe she was nice and tried holding her tongue. Your responsibility as others have had. I'm wondering why you are shocked. She stated she didn't like them there. You did nothing until she became more assertive.
I guess I’m leaving out that we had many conversations that were civil and she said she was fine with them being there. My ducks used to sit under her apple tree and she thought it was funny. I told her when she first moved in that my birds were used to going to her side, that lot was vacant for about 7 or so months. And I told her i would get them off and keep them pinned until they are used to staying with us. Her response was it was fine and they weren’t hurting anything. I again insisted I didn’t want them to be a nuisance. She again insisted it wasnt. Then about 6 months ago she said she was ok if only 3 were over ther but anything more than that was too much. So we would keep an eye on them and when there were more than 3 we would bring them back. Or she would text and I would go get them. That was kinda how it has been for the last few months and then the not nice text came. I should have just insisted form the beginning and not assumed I had an amazingly cool neighbor I guess. Also her little dog squeezes through the gate and chases our birds. He hasn’t gotten one yet. She’s so embarrassed when it happens. But he’s little and has to go outside to potty. And gets excited when he sees birds. I would definitely be sad if he got one. But we don’t threaten to harm her dog if she lets it happen again.

I guess I’m leaving out that we had many conversations that were civil and she said she was fine with them being there. My ducks used to sit under her apple tree and she thought it was funny. I told her when she first moved in that my birds were used to going to her side, that lot was vacant for about 7 or so months. And I told her i would get them off and keep them pinned until they are used to staying with us. Her response was it was fine and they weren’t hurting anything. I again insisted I didn’t want them to be a nuisance. She again insisted it wasnt. Then about 6 months ago she said she was ok if only 3 were over ther but anything more than that was too much. So we would keep an eye on them and when there were more than 3 we would bring them back. Or she would text and I would go get them. That was kinda how it has been for the last few months and then the not nice text came. I should have just insisted form the beginning and not assumed I had an amazingly cool neighbor I guess. Also her little dog squeezes through the gate and chases our birds. He hasn’t gotten one yet. She’s so embarrassed when it happens. But he’s little and has to go outside to potty. And gets excited when he sees birds. I would definitely be sad if he got one. But we don’t threaten to harm her dog if she lets it happen again.
And her dog getting off onto your land is just as wrong as your birds going over the fence on to her property. But you can't make any clams about the dog till you fix your problem ducks. Once your ducks are contained then you can go to her about her dog.

Back
Top Bottom