Guaranteeing who is the father?

ldrchickens

Songster
Jul 1, 2018
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
I need some advise for a friend. She has her hens running with two roos. She is needing to separate them due to the same reason i had to recently, beginning to fight. She plans on setting eggs about the same time i am and was wondering how long it takes for sperm to pass from one roo so that it guarantees a new roo is the father. We will be setting eggs January 25th. If separated today will that guarantee atleast an egg or too will be fertilized by the new roo. Thanks!

I need some advise for a friend. She has her hens running with two roos. She is needing to separate them due to the same reason i had to recently, beginning to fight. She plans on setting eggs about the same time i am and was wondering how long it takes for sperm to pass from one roo so that it guarantees a new roo is the father. We will be setting eggs January 25th. If separated today will that guarantee atleast an egg or too will be fertilized by the new roo. Thanks!
It takes about a month before you can be sure that a certain rooster has fertilized all eggs being laid. At this point, if both roosters have had access to the hens, either rooster could have fertilized each egg that has been laid.

It takes about a month before you can be sure that a certain rooster has fertilized all eggs being laid. At this point, if both roosters have had access to the hens, either rooster could have fertilized each egg that has been laid.
Thats the conclusion i was coming too. I have read they can hold sperm for a month, two weeks, a couple days so wanted to get more opinions. Thank you! Ill let her know she will have to wait till next hatch.

Back
Top Bottom