How to know good hatching eggs?

Kalileigh09

Chirping
Dec 14, 2023
Hey guys I plan to hatch call ducks in the spring and I’ve never hatched eggs before. I wanted to do a practice run and just makes sure my set up and everything is good
A friend gave me 24 fertilized eggs and my incubator only holds 12. So is there any signs on which may be better? Does size affect it bc some are larger or can you tell anything by candling yet.
I’m very new to this so any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Sadly he said these are his most recent but he was sure on the days they were gathered.
If it matters half the eggs are Orpington and half are Barred Rock.

Last edited:
I looked it up and the two breeds lay eggs about the same size. The barred rock eggs may be a little darker between the two. The only real way to check for fertility before incubation is to crack one open. Otherwise, as they incubate for about a week, then you could tell and replace any of those with the eggs that wouldn't fit, but then you'd be dealing with a staggered hatch.

Depending on your incubator, like with my NR360, I've stacked an extra 6-8 in there, but then I had to turn those 3X a day myself.

Can you borrow an incubator from that person or someone?

If not, you have nothing to lose then. I would put 12 of those eggs in a dark cool place, or even the refrigerator, but sit one end of the carton on something so it's higher, and change sides daily.

The day before your incubator is empty, sit these out at room temperature for about 8 hours. Then clean/sterilize your incubator, let it dry, then put these in. You'd have a lower hatch rate, but most would hatch. I've done it and got around 75%.

I looked it up and the two breeds lay eggs about the same size. The barred rock eggs may be a little darker between the two. The only real way to check for fertility before incubation is to crack one open. Otherwise, as they incubate for about a week, then you could tell and replace any of those with the eggs that wouldn't fit, but then you'd be dealing with a staggered hatch.

Depending on your incubator, like with my NR360, I've stacked an extra 6-8 in there, but then I had to turn those 3X a day myself.

Can you borrow an incubator from that person or someone?

If not, you have nothing to lose then. I would put 12 of those eggs in a dark cool place, or even the refrigerator, but sit one end of the carton on something so it's higher, and change sides daily.

The day before your incubator is empty, sit these out at room temperature for about 8 hours. Then clean/sterilize your incubator, let it dry, then put these in. You'd have a lower hatch rate, but most would hatch. I've done it and got around 75%.
Wow I didn’t know that you could save them I’ll try it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom