Guard goose?

Antcohan

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
Texas
I currently have 45ish bantam eggs hatching tonight so excited 2 so far a few hours ago hatched i will be selling them and geting some bantam cochins and would like to get a goose for protection and would like to know what yall think the best goose breed is and would a pair of geese work or would it have to be just 1 goose? And would it try to protect them from me?

Never get just one goose. Ever. Geese are flock animals and MUST be kept in at least pairs for them to be happy, no matter what other kinds of poultry you have.

It also depends on what exactly you would expect the goose to do. If you want something that's going to attack predators and defend the flock, what you want is an LGD. A goose doesn't do that.

If you want something that may deter some predators due to size, and will sound the alarm if something happens so that if you hear it you can intervene, then a pair of geese might work for you. Pretty much any geese work for this purpose. Some of the larger breeds might deter predators better due to their size making them unappealing to take on.

Thank you. I am just looking for something to sound and alarm and maybe scare away small predators like opossum, raccoons or cats or hawks. But even just sounding an alarm and giving a warning to me and the chickens would be fine.

Then geese would be a good fit :) You'll have to look into what you want - if you want them smaller or larger, what type of personality you want, if you can deal with a lot of noise (Chinese are noisy birds) etc, and then you can narrow down what breed would be good for you.

I personally breed and love tufted Romans.

I have one Toulouse female my gander is Embden both wimps Oh yes they can be noisy when something comes around but as far a protecting naw. Of course at night everyone is locked up for their protection but during the day they are in no climb fencing so far nothing has come in during the day but deer. I have roosters to warn against hawks.

Back
Top Bottom