Guard Goose?

OliviaFleming

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Hi all!
So my question is sort of a duck/goose compatibility one.
Conext- I have a flock of 5 khaki Campbell ducks (all female) that are penned for half the day while Im at work, and free range for the other half.
I'd really like to allow them to range the whole day. However, I worry about predators in our area. We've seen neither hide nor tail of any (thankfully) but they would be ranging in our backyard with little protection aside from a 4ft fence. (The girls have never tried to escape, theyre perfectly happy to stay in the yard by their pool)

I have heard/read stories about geese being very good guard animals, and I wondered if I got a big gander, would he assimilate with our flock enough to be protective?

I also wondered, if this is a workable solution, what type of goose to get? Male or female? How to introduce him/her to the ducks? Should I get an adult or raise one from a hatchling?
Any other suggestions for keeping our little flock safe? (Other than dogs, we have two but they tend to try to visit the neighboring properties, instead of staying put when left unsupervised)

Thanks so much! Y'all are amazing!

Hi all!
So my question is sort of a duck/goose compatibility one.
Conext- I have a flock of 5 khaki Campbell ducks (all female) that are penned for half the day while Im at work, and free range for the other half.
I'd really like to allow them to range the whole day. However, I worry about predators in our area. We've seen neither hide nor tail of any (thankfully) but they would be ranging in our backyard with little protection aside from a 4ft fence. (The girls have never tried to escape, theyre perfectly happy to stay in the yard by their pool)

I have heard/read stories about geese being very good guard animals, and I wondered if I got a big gander, would he assimilate with our flock enough to be protective?

I also wondered, if this is a workable solution, what type of goose to get? Male or female? How to introduce him/her to the ducks? Should I get an adult or raise one from a hatchling?
Any other suggestions for keeping our little flock safe? (Other than dogs, we have two but they tend to try to visit the neighboring properties, instead of staying put when left unsupervised)

Thanks so much! Y'all are amazing!
Reasons Why You Shouldn't Keep Just One Goose

Back
Top Bottom