Guard peafowl + toddler

wildocean

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014
Sorry for the cross-post. I am still deciding between geese and peafowl. I am considering getting a peafowl as a 'guard' for my free ranging chickens from red tailed hawk attacks. I have a toddler who likes to visit (very gently) the chickens, do I have to worry about interactions with (i.e., attacks from) the peafowl? I previously worked at a zoo and the peafowl were pretty aggressive. Can they be tamed if hand raised? And if I get them, how many (so they're not lonely)? Does it matter whether I get peahens or peacocks? Sorry for all the questions. I've raised ducks and chickens but am new to any other fowl!

I only have peafowl so I can't be much help on this subject, but I have read several things about people who have a peacock that seems to protect or guard the chickens. Usually what makes them so attached to the chickens is they are hatched out by a broody hen, so they are raised like a chicken and think they are one, and thus they are more willing to follow the chickens and look after them. I think a male would be a better choice, if you are fine with the noise.

Several of us here on BYC have imprinted peacocks and they are very tame and friendly, but all of us were worried because some say that hand raising a peacock that is imprinted to you might mean that when he is mature he will attack you. I know of some people who have had an agressive peacock because he was hand raised like that, but recently I asked some people that do bird shows with their tame peacocks and they said they have never had one turn agressive. So perhaps it is all in how you raise them.

Zoo peafowl are a whole other story indeed. Those poor birds have to deal with kids, and even adults chasing after them trying to yank out their train feathers. I can see why they would become agressive with all that going on. Some just hide in the trees until visiting hours are over.

Peafowl are generally shy birds. They don't hurt when they peck at treats in your hand. They are very curious, and very good at spotting hawks and I also think they know the alarm calls wild birds use for a hawk so that is helpful. I do know a lady who said her chicken was attacked by a hawk and a peacock came running and saved the chicken. But I can't guarantee that having a peacock would help. We have red tails here, and when they see one they look up to the sky and freeze and make a low noise and they all puff up and any small peachicks run for cover.

Been chased by highly aggressive geese... that's no fun, and would scare the daylights out of a toddler. Check with Zaz, she uses guard dogs with her birds, and has lots of cool stuff going on...

Sorry for the cross-post. I am still deciding between geese and peafowl. I am considering getting a peafowl as a 'guard' for my free ranging chickens from red tailed hawk attacks. I have a toddler who likes to visit (very gently) the chickens, do I have to worry about interactions with (i.e., attacks from) the peafowl? I previously worked at a zoo and the peafowl were pretty aggressive. Can they be tamed if hand raised? And if I get them, how many (so they're not lonely)? Does it matter whether I get peahens or peacocks? Sorry for all the questions. I've raised ducks and chickens but am new to any other fowl!
Where ar you located, i raise imprinted peafowl for sale.

I have geese and peafowl geese do nothing about birds of prey but peafowl will let you know when they are around and i have seen mine take after a coopers hawk when it was after one of my banty chicken, once my dogs hear the noise they came and took care of the hawk

You want something to sound the alarm, leave your kids alone and eat all the ticks and bugs in your area get some guineas.

i raise them here and i love them , there only drawback is they get loud chattering while they walk around but they will darn sure point out any thing strange in the area and in most cases follow it till it leaves unless it is something like a yote, bobcat or fox then they run/fly off screaming

Here are some great articles

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/6-reasons-why-you-should-raise-guinea-fowl/?blogger=lmurano

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/raising-guinea-fowl-zmaz92aszshe.aspx

Last edited:
That is for sure. Guineas are loud. Every time I visit a nearby peacock breeder, his guineas sound the alarm once I pull up into the yard to let everyone know someone is there. At that breeder's place, once he hears the guineas making a ruckus he walks out with his gun to see what the trouble is because he knows how good they are at detecting danger.

I would look up videos of guineas calling to see if you are up for that kind of noise - and if your neighbors would be okay with it. I love the noise peafowl make, but I don't know if I could put up with guinea noise all the time.
roll.png

I second on the guineas, but then I don't mind the noise they make and love their insect appetites.

I second on the guineas, but then I don't mind the noise they make and love their insect appetites.
I don't mind their noise either , my geese are much more annoying honking at my feet when i walk around sometimes where as guineas are usually out in the fields from dust till dawn.
I sold all my geese but 2 pairs cause the noise got so bad i could not hear myself think when i got near them, they love to talk to me but so many talking at one time was just way to much for my pea brain.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom