1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Gucky comb! What is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bwebb7, Aug 17, 2008.

1. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I just did a google image search for fowl pox and it looks like that

Fowlpox is a worldwide disease of poultry caused by viruses of the family Poxviridae and the genus Avipoxvirus. The viruses causing fowlpox are distinct from one another but antigenically similar, possible hosts including chickens, turkeys, quail, canaries, pigeons, and many other species of birds. There are two forms of the disease. The first is spread by biting insects (especially mosquitoes) and wound contamination and causes lesions on the comb, wattles, and beak. Birds affected by this form usually recover within a few weeks

3. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    I'ts not pox...

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I dunno... just looks like he got into a fight and bloodied his head a little.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Pox would have raised bump like lesions, w/ whiteish edges. He looks like he got nailed by other chicken or scraped it on something.[​IMG]

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Yep, he's just been pecked by some of the other birds. It will heal, nothing to worry about [​IMG]

8. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    He looks like he is fighting with someone, probably another rooster. Dried blood is black, if you clean some off, you should see healthy comb underneath and a scrape. Have you seen chicken pox on a kid? It looks about the same on a chicken... red/crusty/bloody/raised center, crusty/flaky lighter ring around the center lesion. Can be seen on the comb, wattles, sometimes feet or other places.
    jess

9. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    It could be a big bad Indian Larry that was buggin on him!
    {But the really freaky thing is I am just getting over SHINGLES! (Which is the same virus as chicken pox)}
    Poor Kobie-he broke out of the pen and now hangs out with a 200 lb Mastiff! he feels safer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by