Guess on egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justanother Brooke, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    I know there is no way to know for sure until she starts laying, but I'm wondering if anyone has a guess on what color eggs my Poppy might lay. I've been told by people on here that she looks like an EE mutt, and I know that the leg color can be an indicator. Her legs are pretty yellow, so I'm wondering if she might lay any blues or greens, or will probably lay browns. I don't really care either way, since I know they will all taste yummy, but I am curious!
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Leg color is not an indicator of egg color. The comb type is, though.

To be honest with you, she looks more like an Orloff cross than an EE cross.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    EE's I thought almost always had dark or slate colored legs. She does look like a mix though. I would think that maybe you could get a green egg, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't more of a pinky light brown egg.

4. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    She does look similar to my EEs... so who knows? [​IMG] It will be a surprise. What color are her earlobes? Is there any chance that she could give you white? Absolutely no idea on parentage?

5. Justanother Brooke

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Quote:I'll have to catch her tomorrow and look at her ear lobes...I'm sure she will LOVE that! [​IMG]
    She was part of a mystery batch of chickens that an older couple that we got our coop from threw in with the coop, so I have not the slightest idea on parentage. They're all mutts, but they are sweet!

6. Justanother Brooke

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Okay, I bribed her with scratch, and took a good look at her earlobes, and they are white. Does that mean white eggs? Now, if I can just catch Buttercup and look...she is being extra skittish today.

7. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    My EE has greenish legs and bluish white earlobes and she lays green eggs.

8. chickenaddictntn

chickenaddictntn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Orloff mix round head heavy brow and yellow legs.[​IMG]

9. cabincrazyone

cabincrazyone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    NE Minnesota
    Hi, I'm a newbie asking a newbie question ... wouldn't an EE have the Ameraucana "turtle neck sweater" look ... I mean feathers puffing out at the cheeks?

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Ameraucanas have slate legs. . . . Easter Eggers have any color of legs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by