Guess the breed and help with sexing (pictures included)

chook27

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
UK
Hi,

Here's a picture of my baby chicks. There are from two different lots of eggs. I know that the 3 darker ones all came out of green/blue eggs and have CLB relatives, although most probably not pure bred. As for the 2 yellow ones they came out of a brown and a white egg. Any clues? Or if not, what should I look for to determine any breed connections or do we just have to sit and wait and see what they will turn out like? :)

Also I am slightly impatient about sexing them (I obviously want hens! :)). Any way of sexing them early or should I just sit and wait and then will be able to tell by their feathers once they come to 3 months or so?

Thanks,
Chook27

I would just be patient and enjoy them. Time will tell which are hens and which are roosters. You might want to put down some pine shavings or something on top of the newspaper to prevent the slickness of the newsprint from giving them spayed or spraddled legs. Its a condition they sometimes get from walking on slick surfaces. It can cripple them. Enjoy them!

i'm hatching my first lot soon, going to try a few different ways i've heard to sex them then i'll put rings on the legs of what i think are males and wait until i know 100%, it will be interesting to see how many i can get right.

Back
Top Bottom