Guess the EE gender! (New pics at post #21)

MoSo

In the Wild Plum Yonder
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
near Crater Lake NP, Oregon
I have 6 chicks, somewhere between 3-4 weeks old. I believe I have a Silver Wyandotte, a gold sex-link, a Barred Rock and then 3 EEs. My favorite EE, of course, is the one I'm not sure of. Very inquisitive, the first to try a new food.

Reasons to think it is a pullet:
yellow comb
no wattles yet
rounded-ish feathers on back
tail developing at pace with others

Reason to think cockerel:
larger than the others (although not by a lot)
friendlier, more inquisitive than rest
larger legs, darker color legs
bump on leg beginning of spur?
feather in neck area slow to come in, comparatively

The one on the right:
50509_br.jpg

50509_bump.jpg

50509_neck.jpg

Last edited:
They don't usually have any wattles, period. Too soon for rooster saddle feathers, too. Is the pea comb wide or just a single ridge? That's the main way you tell male from female in this type breed. Still, it's too early. My EEs as well as my Ameraucanas feather at about the same rate in male and female, very unlike my BRs, so you can't go by that, either.

Sorry, I'm new to chickens so I don't have an answer for you, but his/her legs do look big and I don't know what the bump is, but it does look to be in the right place for a spur. He/she is a cutie, no matter what he/she is.
lol.png

The green legged one is certainly a cockerel, he'll grow to have a mock-wheaten sort of color. The other I could also say may be a boy, but with no promise.

Coloring and comb says rooster to me for sure.

About the spur bumps... that is not a way to judge gender early on. Sometimes not even later. I've got several hens with spurs. I have a buff-laced Polish with inch-long spurs, and a silver-spangled hamburg with two-inch spurs. Several of my other girls, including welsummers and EEs have half-inch spurs.

Back
Top Bottom