Guess the Silkie Sex?

ChicksinFL

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
I know Silkies are hard to sex I've read the "won't know till it lays an egg or crows" several places. So this thread is more for fun then a serious answer based on feathers at the varying ages of our Silkies. We have four and are praying for pullets but we'll live with cockerals too.. but will have to get some pullets later on. I'm not even sure how old they are.

A. this is Noname

rsNoname2.jpg

rsNoname1.jpg

B. this is NightShade

rsNightShade2.jpg

rsNightshade1.jpg

C. this is LG

rsLG2.jpg

rsLG1.jpg

D. this is Chipmunk

rschipmunk2.jpg

rschipmunk1.jpg

Quote:
Thank you for your guesses! I'm am sure hoping it's not all roo's! "B" Nightshade is the oldest out of the bunch and I'm really leaning toward hen for her. I've found myself refering to A noname as a he though. The two littler ones I haven't found myself calling either gender yet.

Thank you for two more of you putting in your thoughts. I'll update with newer pictures in a few weeks and see if thoughts change.

No matter what sex they are we having a ball with them... they are so sweet and friendly. The "b" chicken Nightshade loves to sit on a hand or arm like it's a parrot not a chicken. The girls watch TV with them and nightshade has been found hanging out on the table during lunch!!

We have 6 silkie chicks that are 6 weeks old now and ALL have spiky feathers sticking up on their heads just like the ones you have in the photos above. We are worries that this is a sign that they may be roosters since ALL our other silkies that are hens had vaulted skulls and rounded heads. Does anyone know about this?? I know it is very hard to sex silkies to begin with but there are a few things that may help such as the spiky hair. Although I thought that because all our other silkies are white and the new baby chicks are partridge and buff maybe that has something to do with it??? Please let me know your thoughts!

Am pretty good at guessing sexes of my own Silkies at about a month. I'd say the first is a pullet, the second is a cockerel and the last 2 are just still to young to tell.

Back
Top Bottom