Guess what season it is in the Northern Hemisphere?! - Its FODDER Season! 🍀

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
No, i have not abandoned this thread, but an issue with the dog from an unrepentant neighbor required some immediate action. A duck was dognapped, one died and i am trying to install an electric fence without electrocuting me.

But i did grew some fodder! In the picture below you can see the mini fodder-tower bins with Field-Rape-Fodder (left) and Flax-Fodder (right), yes, that flax-seed that turned into an awful pudding did actually grow to a nice fodder and the ducks loved it:
full
Unfortunately flax-seed is way too expensive to buy. It seems to be only available for humon consumption in microscopic amounts, like a pound or so; i have not found a source for actual flax-seed. Here's another detail picture of the flax-seed fodder:
full
As for the field-rape fodder, it wore out: At first the ducks were crazy about the new taste, but after three or four days they stopped liking it and left it in the bowl.

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
As for the turnip-seeds: They turned out to be very, very sensitive to mold! In the morning the bin looked fine in the evening it was all blue/green mold and stank like rotten onions. Promised the ducks to use the seeds in spring to grow some turnip-greens…😖
Then i bought a bag of Wild Bird Seed at the local supermarket, it contains Milo, Millet and BOSS, sieved out the boss and tried to germinate the small seeds: Nada! Absolutely nothing sprouted. I am pretty sure that stuff is heat treated before bagging to sterilize the seeds.
Good thing is that the ducks like to phish for the little seeds in their supper-soup, so it is not wasted.

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I'm on my third batch of barley. One thing I did differently this time is rinse the seed several times during its 24 hour soak. I did 12 hours last time; totally forgot about it this time and it went for 24. Seems fine. One of the soaks was with some bleach/water for about half an hour. I mixed up a pint bottle of water and put a scant half teaspoon of bleach in it. It's for watering/rinsing if I see any slime/mold starting.

It's day three, and the little bit of water in the pan is still clear. I had a fight with slimy looking water in my last batch. I ended up rinsing it with bleach/water and then plain water on about day 5 and calling it done, even though it wasn't "done" yet.

I think the extra rinsing in the first soak helped get rid of excess starch that feeds whatever it is that turns into mold or slime. The soak with bleach/water is probably helping too. I'm putting that in my "notes for next time."

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
So barley has a lot of excess starch that you need to wash away?
That is weird, with the Winter Wheat i just fill the jar with the seeds once, discard everything that swims, fill up again with a little bit of bleach and let it sit for a couple of minutes. Basically for the time i need to pull the top bin with fodder out, shift all bins one up and flood the tower.
Then i drain the jar again, fill up with fresh water and let it soak. No excess starch or slime building material present after that.

gtaus

Crowing
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
FWIW, I have grown my new batch of barley seed into fodder and my results this time are only slightly better than the last bag of seed earlier this winter. I am only getting about 20% germination on this new bag of barley seed, but, at least no mold. I have tried different initial soak times of 6 hours, 12 hours, and 24 hours and really don't see any difference in the germination rate. What does germinate grows beautifully, but at only 20% germination rate, about 80% of the seeds are just sitting in the fodder bins doing nothing. That is very disappointing,

I am giving my girls a full (1 pound dry weight) bin of barley fodder each morning, which is 80% just non-germinated seed and maybe 20% grass, so I cut back on the chicken scratch each morning which is mostly corn and grain seeds.

I am really glad last year I had good barley seed and got to see how great fodder can be. If I would have started off my fodder growing experiment with poor quality seeds like I got this year, I doubt I would have gone very far. I have tried a number of times to contact another feed mill a few towns down the road that sells "seed" quality barley, which should have almost 100% germination rate, but they just don't answer their phone - probably a COVID-19 shut down issue.

Well, my girls are getting a little fodder greens every day along with a good helping of soaked barley seeds that did not germinate. I don't know if they appreciate my effort in trying, but as with any fodder, everything gets eaten - germinated and grown into grass or not.

gtaus

Crowing
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
I think the extra rinsing in the first soak helped get rid of excess starch that feeds whatever it is that turns into mold or slime. The soak with bleach/water is probably helping too. I'm putting that in my "notes for next time."

If you find something works, it certainly is worth remembering. A short is almost always better than a long memory.

So barley has a lot of excess starch that you need to wash away?

That has not been my experience. But, I have learned this winter that successful fodder all starts with good quality seed. If you have poor quality non-germinating seed, nothing seems to matter - using bleach, extra rinses, soaking times, etc...

WannaBeHillBilly

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
FWIW, I have grown my new batch of barley seed into fodder and my results this time are only slightly better than the last bag of seed earlier this winter. I am only getting about 20% germination on this new bag of barley seed, but, at least no mold. I have tried different initial soak times of 6 hours, 12 hours, and 24 hours and really don't see any difference in the germination rate. What does germinate grows beautifully, but at only 20% germination rate, about 80% of the seeds are just sitting in the fodder bins doing nothing. That is very disappointing,

I am giving my girls a full (1 pound dry weight) bin of barley fodder each morning, which is 80% just non-germinated seed and maybe 20% grass, so I cut back on the chicken scratch each morning which is mostly corn and grain seeds.

I am really glad last year I had good barley seed and got to see how great fodder can be. If I would have started off my fodder growing experiment with poor quality seeds like I got this year, I doubt I would have gone very far. I have tried a number of times to contact another feed mill a few towns down the road that sells "seed" quality barley, which should have almost 100% germination rate, but they just don't answer their phone - probably a COVID-19 shut down issue.

Well, my girls are getting a little fodder greens every day along with a good helping of soaked barley seeds that did not germinate. I don't know if they appreciate my effort in trying, but as with any fodder, everything gets eaten - germinated and grown into grass or not.
I too am experiencing issues with the fodder this year: It doesn't really grow into the same lush greenery than last year. The germination rate of the wheat is high, >80%, but it grows extremely slow and i barely get some green leaves, even after letting the bin sit in the window for two days. Maybe the garage is colder this year than last year?
I am growing some Wheat fodder now in the mini-tower in the bathroom to figure out what the problem is. Temperatures are much higher than in the garage, promptly causing some mold issues. I need to keep i drier.
I just wish somebody would press the fast forward button and skip February…

Sally PB

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
I don't know if barley has excess starch... that might not have been the issue. The soak with some bleach probably did make a difference. I mixed up some approximately 1 tablespoon/gal ratio water. If I see any cloudiness to the water around the roots, I use that for the watering. I have seen a little bit of white fuzzy mold, but not much and the bleach water takes care of that too.

In the seed I bought, I found a few broken seeds and bits of chaff, but overall, the seed was very clean. Obviously, chaff and broken seed won't sprout, but will add unwanted contaminants to the water.

I have another dish of barley sprouting now. It's in a terra cotta saucer, like what you'd put under a plant pot. This batch is looking very good! I don't know if the porosity of the terra cotta is the reason, but I plan to use it again for the next batch. I have the saucer in a pie pan of water so that it doesn't dry out too much between waterings. The air is DRY in my house!

Top Bottom