Guesses as to what gender we are?

PruittFarm

Chirping
Mar 10, 2017
Burgaw N.C
I purchased a bunch of babies from a store where they are having 99% female rate however I'm starting to question a few of these little ones they are two - three months old should start laying the end of December to beginning of January any ideas?

( hope picture quality is good enough they're kind of skittish unless they're playing in the water)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-16-35-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-16-35-1.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-16-41-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-16-41-1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-17-00-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-12-14-17-00-1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
Yep all pullets :)

Note that if you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter, and gets dark early, they might wait until spring to lay. Some chickens don't lay in the winter, because they don't have enough light hours in the day to produce an egg, and once they get older because they molt.

However, some will off and on their first year, it depends.

They are all very beautiful and I'm sure they will lay pretty eggs too!

Yep all pullets :)

Note that if you live somewhere where it gets cold in the winter, and gets dark early, they might wait until spring to lay. Some chickens don't lay in the winter, because they don't have enough light hours in the day to produce an egg, and once they get older because they molt.

However, some will off and on their first year, it depends.

They are all very beautiful and I'm sure they will lay pretty eggs too!

This will be my second year with chickens in the winter this will be my second year with chickens and the winter so far I've never had a problem and they all seem to lay every other day and the winter instead of every day I try to keep solar lights outside in there coop by the windows so that way they have light for longer. And a I also tried to make sure I feed them very well and the winter and make sure they have all the new trance that they need I also add in whole corn and to their feed for them in the winter to help warm there body temperatures :)

I bought these babies as day-old chicks and put them under two of my Broody hens one night and said the hens are still mothering them and they're still sleeping underneath their mothers as best they can fit lol

This will be my second year with chickens in the winter this will be my second year with chickens and the winter so far I've never had a problem and they all seem to lay every other day and the winter instead of every day I try to keep solar lights outside in there coop by the windows so that way they have light for longer. And a I also tried to make sure I feed them very well and the winter and make sure they have all the new trance that they need I also add in whole corn and to their feed for them in the winter to help warm there body temperatures :)

I bought these babies as day-old chicks and put them under two of my Broody hens one night and said the hens are still mothering them and they're still sleeping underneath their mothers as best they can fit lol

That's so cute! That's interesting that your chickens lay throughout the winter, we will have to look into that more.

I know I read some place that if you give them lighting all winter, like at night and stuff, that it can reduce their life span. I'm not sure why. I know lots of people do it so that their chickens will lay. But I haven't looked into it that much yet, since this is our first year with chickens. :)

That's so cute! That's interesting that your chickens lay throughout the winter, we will have to look into that more.

I know I read some place that if you give them lighting all winter, like at night and stuff, that it can reduce their life span. I'm not sure why. I know lots of people do it so that their chickens will lay. But I haven't looked into it that much yet, since this is our first year with chickens. :)
Iv not heard that ill have to look into it too

Back
Top Bottom