Guinea fowl be raise with chickens?

Rugerman

Chirping
Oct 28, 2017
We have 9 18 week old guineas that live next door to our 30 chickens and 2 Rosters. A guinea keeps flying over to the chicken side. It is getting crazy to keep having to catch her and put her back. We are thinking of just taking the fence between all of them? Any advise?

As long as they aren't fighting it might be alright to let them be together. But I have never had Guineas, so I don't have experience.

Free ranging *should* be fine as long as they have separate coops for at night.
My guineas got to know my chickens through a fence. (My chickens are always penned up.)
My guineas have flown into the chicken run and today a chicken got out. They have no problem hanging out near each other. My escapee chicken was hanging around the guineas till I called for her. Silly girl.

I would just keep an eye out for the first few days to be sure they all get along fine.

I have guineas that I raised with chicks so they are fine with chicjens they have never hurt any of them they love being a part of the flock. But since you didn't raise them with chicks it might be a different story.

I have guineas that I raised with chicks so they are fine with chickens they have never hurt any of them they love being a part of the flock. But since you didn't raise them with chicks it might be a different story.
Have you been through a breeding season with your guineas? It is common for everything to seem fine when raising guinea keets with chicks right up until the first breeding season. The guineas that are raised with chicks lose the ability to understand that chickens are not guineas and start treating the chickens the same way they treat each other. Chickens do not understand the races and chases or the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and breaking and can become greatly stressed.

We have 9 18 week old guineas that live next door to our 30 chickens and 2 Rosters. A guinea keeps flying over to the chicken side. It is getting crazy to keep having to catch her and put her back. We are thinking of just taking the fence between all of them? Any advise?

Thanks to all the replied🙏🏻We opened up the fence line between the guineas and chickens. So far so good. They have separate barns to go in at night. Last night they they both went into their own barns. This morning they were all together walking the yard. We have 1/2 acre fenced in with a creek down the middle. So I think enough space for all. We will keep an eye on them!

Have you been through a breeding season with your guineas? It is common for everything to seem fine when raising guinea keets with chicks right up until the first breeding season. The guineas that are raised with chicks lose the ability to understand that chickens are not guineas and start treating the chickens the same way they treat each other. Chickens do not understand the races and chases or the attacks from behind with the feather pulling and breaking and can become greatly stressed.
They are too young only, now will keep an eye for this behavior .🙏🏻

I have had guinea hens for 3 years it has never been a problem. We have a roo and puts the guineas in there place.

Back
Top Bottom